Chapter Six

That night, I walked into Jennie's room to find her smiling on her bed. That gummy smile would be the death of me, I swear to God. Never had I ever seen someone so precious.

"Lisa!" She pouted.

"What?" I asked.

"I need cuddles."

She held her arms out and did a grabbing gesture. I smiled, for how could I frown at that? I placed my hands on her waist, lifting her with a spin. Her giggles echoed around the room as I set her back down on the bed and crawled in next to her. Jennie laid her head on my chest and wrapped her arms around my waist. I played with her hair gingerly as she nuzzled her head deeper into my chest.

This was perfect, and I never wanted it to change. I wanted to show her off as mine everywhere we went and to hold her in my arms when she was sad. I wanted to kiss her cheek and be her knight in shining armor. But that couldn't happen. I knew it couldn't.

She would marry Kai tomorrow, whether she knew it or not. I'd have to watch her walk down the aisle in her stunning white gown with a bouquet of roses in her hand. I had fantasies like this before, but they had a different outcome. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes, but I held back. Jennie, of course, noticed this.

"Lili, what's wrong?" She asked innocently. "Are you unhappy?"

"No!" I mustered a smile. "With you, I'm the happiest I've ever been."

Jennie smiled. "Me too. You have no idea."

I traced my hand along the side of her face, pushing back a lock of dark hair that had fallen in front of her eyes. Those beautiful, mesmerizing eyes. I could get lost in those chocolate pools. I attempted to blink back a tear, but it fell anyway. Jennie wiped it away, a concerned expression on her face.

"What aren't you telling me, Lisa?"

So much. I had to tell her sooner or later, but it would pain me to get the words out. I would lose her if I said this, but it had to be done.

"Jennie," I began. "I love you so much. I love you more than anything in the world, which is why I have to let you go."

"Lisa, what are you saying?" Jennie lifted her head from my chest and sat up in front of me.

"Your parents want you to marry Kai tomorrow," I breathed out.

"But Kai didn't save me," She leaned in closer to me, whispering her next sentence. "You did."

Her lips grazed mine slightly before she grabbed the back of my head, pulling me into the kiss. Before I knew it, I was kissing her back and she pushed me up against the headboard. I got up on my knees to steady myself from falling. My arms snaked around her waist as the kiss became more passionate. As much as I loved it, I sharply pulled away, causing Jennie to look at me, confused. I turned away from her, trying not to cry.

"Lisa..." Jennie pleaded. "Look at me, please."

I did as I was told and turned towards the brunette, tears trickling down my cheeks. Jennie was swift to wipe them away, as she always is. She pulled me into a hug as I cried into her shoulder. The thought of losing her was plaguing my thoughts, but having her hold me tight like this reminded me that I couldn't lose her. Not really, at least. She could be taken from me, but that didn't mean that she was lost. Our love was stronger than that.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Don't say that," Jennie said. "It wasn't your fault."

"But I should've told you sooner," I cried. "I just didn't have the heart."

"I understand, Lisa," She rubbed comforting circles on my back, which soothed me.

"Damnit, Jennie, I love you so much, and I can't watch you marry someone else," I let go of her and inched away slightly.

"Are you-"

"Yeah," I said sadly. "I have to go."

"Lisa, please!" Jennie grabbed my wrist, tears forming in her eyes. "I need you!"

"I need you too," I sniffled. "I'll never forget you, Jennie."

I pulled my wrist out of Jennie's grasp and left the room, listening to her calling my name. So badly, I wanted to tell her that I was sorry. So badly, I wanted to fall back into her embrace. So badly, I wanted to tell her that I loved her again. But I couldn't. Not now. Maybe never again. Scratch that. Definitely never again. Saying good-bye was death by a thousand cuts, and I don't think I could ever truly heal. Crying waterfalls, I ran out of the castle, bumping into a familiar raven-haired woman.

"Lisa?" Jisoo asked. "Are you okay?"

"I'm not going to lie to you, Jisoo," I sighed. "No."

"What happened?" She paused for a second, waiting for a response, but I didn't say a word. "You told her, didn't you?"

I nodded. "Tell Jennie I love her."

"Wait, Lisa!"

I didn't listen to another word that Jisoo said. I just kept running. Bursting through the doors of the castle, I ran to my horse, Leo. Quickly, I mounted him and we charged back towards my kingdom. I vowed to myself that I wouldn't return, but I had nowhere else to go. The love of my life was going to marry someone else. That sunk in with every galloping move Leo made. Although I was hurt, I wasn't mad at Jennie. She had nothing to do with this. I just wished that heteronormativity didn't exist.