twenty-four

* Flashback  *

* Flashback *

I had just celebrated my nineteenth birthday the week before I started my new job.

It had been my first time ever working full time and also in a office setting. I didn't know very much about my co-workers yet. But, I seriously doubt that it would be important to.

Besides, I was the youngest one here. Which meant, I had nothing in common with these women that worked here. I just needed something to keep me out of trouble and that would pass the time by until, next semester would start in the fall.

I had it all planned out. This summer consisted of getting my breast augmentation surgery that my boyfriend was so against me doing. Saying that it was a huge waste of time and I didn't really need it. Getting ready for my trip to the Bahamas with Hakeem next year, which is why I am working during the summer. Because, I am trying to save my money and not go out there broke.

It was finally the end of the day and I was waiting on my boyfriend. Not too long ago, we talked on the phone and he said, that he wasn't far away from the place I worked at. So, it would take him around fifteen minutes to get here.

I decided to look in my purse for my cigarettes and lighter. I couldn't help but, notice how this car was parked. I feel like it has been out here the whole time, that I had been out here. But, I am probably worried over nothing. Just paranoid.

" Be careful, going home Camille. It's really bad out here. " Cassandra said, referring to the bad weather.

" Alright, I will. I'll see you next Monday. " I replied, blowing out smoke.

Looking at Cassandra's boyfriend as he steps out and opens the door for her on the passenger side. He winks at me once she is in. I thought to myself, he is fine. But, I am not the type to keep up mess with my co-workers. So, I acted as if I didn't see him notice me.

Cassandra's P.O.V.

" Really, Jeremiah? " I fold my arms and look towards the window.

" Girl, what are you talking about now? " He said.

" I'm talking about you looking at her, as if I'm not even sitting right here. " I replied.

" Don't be like that. You know that I love only you. I don't think of nobody else at night but, you and hoping that everything is alright. " He said.

" But, I need you to start acting like it. We have a son together and he looks up to you. Even, wants to be like you. Just wish that you wouldn't be out there in those streets. " I sighed.

" I can't make no promises, Cassie. " He said.

* Present *

" Baby, why you took so long to get here? " I asked, holding my stomach in pain.

" It was just a lot of traffic outside. Camille, it is too early for you to have the babies. " Jeremiah said.

" I don't know, baby. I just really need to be in the hospital. " I said, uncomfortably.

*

I laid in the bed while, Jeremiah gives me a cup of water to drink. The doctor tells Jeremiah that I might not make it and that I would just have to give birth at home. Saying it would be a much safer options.

" But, I don't want to.. There has to be some time left! " I cried out.

" Baby girl, I know you're worried and scared but, I need you to stop crying right now. There is no way that I am going to drive you to the hospital in time. It takes an hour and probably more because, of all that traffic outside. Now, the doctor is on her way, just hold on. " He said, as he gets the small bag of ice and puts it on my forehead.

🥀♥️