Love & Evil

It was a beautiful late afternoon

It was a beautiful late afternoon. The seasons were changing, and the weather was perfect for jackets and overcoats. The calm wind swept up the color-changing leaves from the neglected balcony that HeeJin rarely used. Despite the loft being located on the top floor of Blockberry, HeeJin's room overlooked a rooftop that was more like a small park. HyunJin always wondered why HeeJin never opened up the balcony doors, the view was gorgeous and anyone would be lucky to have this right outside of their room.

"Heekki, I'm going to open up the balcony doors, the weather is amazing outside!" HyunJin exclaimed.

The other girl was hunched over her desk, absorbed in her studies for her upcoming exams, she only hummed in response.

HyunJin grasped both door handles and swung the doors open and basked in the warm sunlight as she took a deep breath of the fresh autumn air. The lawn was crisply cut and remained saturated with a deep emerald, trees were slowly shedding their auburn and gold autumn leaves, and only a few birds were softly chirping outside as most of them have already flown south.

The bodyguard briefly left the room to make some hot cocoa; the cold air made it perfect for the warm and sweet beverage. Waiting for the milk to heat up, she watched the news from the TV that Jaden left on. There was breaking news that a convict escaped from a prison a few cities away-

The microwave chimed, and HyunJin rushed to get their beverages. She mixed in the chocolate powder and threw in some marshmallows and rushed to return to HeeJin.

HyunJin peeked into HeeJin's room and discovered a pigeon perched on the balcony railing. The bodyguard could only think how delightful the little creature was, dropping by to visit HeeJin as if she was a fairytale princess. It reminded HyunJin of a scene from one of her favorite Disney movies, Snow White. Animals came from the forest to greet the princess and helped her with her chores. Her favorite part was when birds would whistle with the princess as if they were singing along with her voice. HyunJin smiled at her imagination of HeeJin humming with the birds, hoping that a similar scene would happen.

The girl turned, expecting to see HeeJin at her desk but didn't find her there. Her smile fell as soon she saw the smaller girl curled up in the corner of her room. Her face displayed anything but joy; she only stared back at the winged creature, staring as if the small bird was the most horrible thing she has ever seen. HeeJin was petrified in place. She trembled in fear; her lips quivered from the sight of the harmless critter.

HyunJin set the mugs of cocoa down on top of the desk and cautiously called out to her friend. "Heekki..."

There was no response, no acknowledgment from the scared girl; all of her attention solely focused on the cursed winged beast.

"Heekki, are you okay?" HyunJin called out a bit louder, but there was still no response. She inched closer to the curled up girl, observing her carefully.

As soon as the bird opened its wings, HeeJin flinched, her eyes clenched shut, her arms covered her head that was burrowed into her knees as she let out a scream.