Fortnight pt. 2

Carter swiped his key card, and the door handle flashed green with a satisfying click. He went in first, and turned around, his face wrought with confusion.

"I think we got the wrong room," Carter puzzled. Ava raised an eyebrow and walked past him to see for herself what the problem could be. As she'd learned from her parents, Ava sniffed the air. Everything smelled fine. She checked the ceiling and walls for water damage. The walls were pristine. At least as pristine as hotel walls can be. The chairs were good... the desk was good... the bed was good. The bed was excellent. Holy shit, that was a huge bed.

Ava was definitely going to make Carter sleep on the couch. Except there was no couch. Just an armchair and the bed. One bed.

"Let's go fix that," Ava sighed.

But after twenty minutes of frustration, nothing was resolved. There were no other rooms. Theirs didn't fit a cot. All the other hotels in the town were full. Ava and Carter looked at each other. "I mean, it's pretty big. Let's just make a pillow wall or something," Ava said.

A spark shined in Carter's eye. "Forget the wall," he grinned. "let's build a fort." And at a lack of anything else, the hotel managed to at least supply plenty of extra blankets.

The two friends didn't mess around with their fort-building. With the blankets and some duct tape, fairy lights, and two poles from the pharmacy nearby, they made a fort worthy to be featured in a VSCO girls instagram. The tow poles extended towards the ceiling above the middle of the bed, one starting from the headboard, the other from the footboard. Pastel blankets that were taped and tied together descended from the poles towards the sides of the bed. Fairy lights floated in the air and embraced the fort walls. Heaps of food from the pharmacy shelves lay in the middle of the bed. Maltesers, smarties, rolos, Aero bars, KitKats, wine gums, Double Deckers, flakes, Cadbury eggs, milky ways, bountys, Kinder Joys, lemon and pear drops, sherbet fountains, Lion Bars, Snickers, licorice wheels, butterscotches, digestives, Jaffa cakes, Walker's, caramel wafers, and bottles and cartons of Irn Bru, Vimto, Ribena, and Lucozade.

They hadn't exactly meant to go on a sugar shopping spree, but nostalgia and bad impulse control don't go well for saving money. Ava and Carter sat cross legged and looked around at their fort for the first time. It really was quite a fort. Carter impatiently turned his attention to the pile of his childhood. Ava was not hesitant to do the same. She picked up a bag and turned to Carter. "Who the fuck makes prawn cocktail flavored chips?"

"They're called crisps, you uncultured swine."

"Oh come on, be more creative than that."

"You American," Carter amended.

"That's literally just a synonym! Use something original!"

"Jesus, Ava, fine. You lemon-scented shit goblin. We're in England, so you're going to call them crisps."

Ava put on an awful British accent. "Righty-ho, Carter my lad! Shall we be sampling these crisps?"

In turn, Carter switched his voice to sound somewhat American, and pushed out his stomach. "Haha, let's ban kinder eggs! Thoughts and prayers! Celebrating racism is just being a proud American! We chose an egg to lead us!"

"Psht, we hate America too. Let's eat."

And so they did. They sampled everything that had been laid out on the bed, and when their shirts seemed to be able to empathize with Trump's, they went to the lobby and watched the fish in the fish tank swim past, giving them names and back stories. Carter Junior, who was named by Ava, was a clownfish, and in turn, Carter named the tiniest minnow he could find, 'Ava's brain."

There was also Mr. Clean, Spongebob, Charlie, Sherlock, Sheldon, Gamora, Todd, Alice, Jughead of Comic, Clariel, Raphael, The Sled Driver, and Varys.

And in a tank of turtles, they named them cake, amoeba, mitosis, deck, and Susan (it was a bitchy turtle).

---------------------------------

This chapter's shorter than usual, but I'm kind of done with this particular one, so if I don't move onto a new chapter, I'm just gonna stay stuck. It's not even Monday. Anyway, hope you enjoyed :) I'm a disaster