Chapter [8] (Edited)

Chapter Eight

For you, there might be another star

But through my eyes the light of you, it's all I see

For you, there might be another song

But all my heart can hear is your melody

Another Star -Stevie Wonder

****

"Mom?" I called, pushing open the door labeled 'Recording Studio' in big black letters.

"Shush!" my mom hissed, pushing me back into the hall with her and shutting the door behind us. "Did you not see the big 'RECORDING IN PROGRESS' sign?" Mom asked in a hushed voice.

"I didn't even look," I shrugged. "Sorry."

"Why are you here?" she asked, pressing her fingers to her temples.

"I thought you might like to eat." I held up the bag of food, made special by Diane.

"That is nice," she said, pushing open the door again, as the RECORDING IN PROGRESS sign went black.

"Phaya, that was beautiful!" Mom called as Phaya left the soundproof part of the studio.

"Thanks!" Phaya smiled. "And who is this...?" she said in a hushed voice to my mother.

"That is my daughter, remember her?" Oh look. First Mom forgets that I met her pop star, and then diva herself forgets. Nice. "She brought food," Mom whispered back.

"Right..." Phaya said. "Thanks for the food, Zoey. If you want, you can hang around and listen." She put on a smile, and I couldn't tell if it was fake.

"Thanks," I said, taking a seat on the back wall. I don't have anywhere else to go, and Kevin won't be back for a while.

Then Phaya started recording again.

One two three four,

Locked in this time with a closed door.

No help except my own scream,

This must be just a dream.

Help me, hide me, one last time,

Everything I seem to do is a crime.

I will die and my last words will be 'save me'.

Yet I will die alone no time to plea.

Help me pick this lock, I beg please,

Wisk me away on this soft breeze.

Take me away from this, I beg of thee.

Come to rescue, to save me.

Help me, hide me, one last time,

Everything I seem to do is a crime.

I will die and my last words will be 'save me'.

Yet I will die alone no time to plea.

One two three four,

Locked in this time with a closed door.

I will die and my last words will be 'save me'.

Yet I will die alone no time to plea.

"What did you all think? It's called 'Save Me,'" Phaya said, pushing open the door and coming out so we could hear her without talking into the mike.