Chapter [16] (Edited)

Chapter Sixteen

Starlight, starbright first star I see tonight

Starlight, [starbright] make everything all right

Starlight, starbright first star I see tonight

Starlight, [starbright] yeah

Lucky Star -Madonna

******

"Alden is here, Zoey!" Dean called up the stairs, making Tabitha squeal in delight.

"You," I pointed at her. "Out after I leave."

"Yes, Ma'am!" she said with a mock salute. "Now go out there and get the boy!" She cheered, adjusting my top one last time. She had dressed me up like Casual Barbie. I was wearing dark-washed skinny jeans and a blue top. My shoes matched the color of the top, but they were comfortable sandals.

She pushed me out of the room, and I walked down the stairs to where Alden was standing.

"You look stunning," he said, acting all formal. Once again, Dean was nowhere to be found.

"You look dashing," I mimicked.

"Really, Zoey, you look beautiful."

"Thanks." I looked at him, walking up to him. "So, where are we going?"

He gave me a You-Should-Know-By-Now-I-Am-Not-Going-To-Tell-You look. And I sighed.

"I know, I know, you're being all mysterious."

"Yes, and you're going to like it," he said, taking my hand, and pulling me down the driveway.

"I'm sure I will, but will you at least give me a hint?" I tried.

"My lips are sealed."

I pouted.

"Don't pout, you make me feel bad."

"If I give you the puppy-dog eyes, will you tell me?" I asked, thinking up a brilliant idea.

"No. But don't try them. I am too weak," he said, flustered, as we got into his car.

I looked up at him through my eyelashes, making my pupils as big as I could, puffing my lips out, completing the puppy-dog look.

"No. Stop. Stop!" he cried, looking away. "I refuse to give in." He kept his eyes glued on the road, and I let out a sigh, giving in and quitting the puppy look. . "Here's a hint, though." I looked up, excited. "We're here," he said, turning into a driveway that I remembered not far from my house.

"The park!" I smiled. "Why are we here? We don't have the dogs."

He smiled, getting out of the car. "We're actually passing through," he said, taking my hand, making my heart flutter.

"Where are we going then?" I demanded.

"Relax!" he cajoled. "You know I'm not going to tell you, so just breathe. It's all going to be fine."

"Ha ha," I said, my voice edgy and sarcastic. "Why won't you tell me where we're going?"

"Because I am being Edward."

"But really, why?"

"Because you like mysterious guys, and I thought if I was more mysterious, then you would like me more," he said, covering his eyes with his bangs.

"You don't have to be mysterious for me to like you," I said. "I'll like you no matter what, you can't do anything to change that."

"Good," he said. "But I'm still not telling you."