Wedding Day

For CriddleTheWriter

Chloe woke up excited about today.  It was their wedding day.  Today was the day she and Freddie were going to be married. 

She looked at the ring he gave her.  It was a small but simple diamond stone.  Freddie had given it to her on her birthday.  He had a huge gift wrapped box for her.  When she unwrapped it there was another smaller wrapped box.  She kept finding smaller and smaller boxes to unwrap until finally there was a tiny one.

Freddie took that box, opened it and got on one knee.  "Chloe," he said, gazing up at her.  "I love you very much and want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Chloe was in shock.  He was proposing! Really proposing!

"Chloe," Freddie continued.  "Will you marry me?"

What was she waiting for? "Yes! Yes, Freddie."

Freddie slid the ring on her finger.  He stood up and kissed her.   "Thank you, Mrs. Highmore."  Throughout their engagement that was what he would call her, Mrs.Highmore or Mrs. H.  She loved it.

Chloe planned the wedding.  They would have all their family and friends there which would be a small number.  It would be in the park across from the church.  A nice outdoor wedding with all the pretty flowers in bloom.  She would wear a simple white dress with lace.  It wasn't very expensive but she loved it.

On the day of the wedding it was cloudy.  Chloe was worried as she checked the weather app on her phone.  It said the day would be sunny.  So why the clouds? She hoped that it would clear up by the afternoon.

Chloe got dressed and did her hair and makeup, then rode out with her family to the park.  By then a few sprinkles landed on the windshield.  Hopefully it would clear up and that the park wouldn't be too wet.

When they made it to the park the rain was really pouring.  Chloe looked in dismay at the now drenched area where she hoped to exchange vows with Freddie.  Oh dear.  

Freddie hopped out of the car parked next to them.  He rushed over and tapped on the window.  "Hey, there, Chloe.  You look beautiful."

"Thank you, Freddie.  So do you." He really did in his wedding tuxedo.

"So what do you want to do, babe?" he asked.  "It's really a mess out here."

"I know, and the church is already booked." Chloe was disappointed.  This was supposed to be her day.  What was she going to do? 

Freddie looked across the street.  "I have an idea."  He rushed across the street to what looked like a diner.  He was inside for a while, then returned.

"What's happening?" Chloe asked.

"Come on, babe," Freddie was holding an umbrella.  "We're getting married."

Holding the umbrella over her, Freddie helped her out of the car.  He led everyone over to the diner.  Inside there were only two customers at the counter.  The cook and two waitresses were watching the little group in their wedding attire.

Again Chloe wondered what was happening. 

"I know you wanted to have a perfect wedding in the park," Freddie said.  "But Mother Nature unfortunately had other ideas.  So I was thinking how about here? It may not be the ideal venue but this was the place where I first saw you and fell in love at first sight, so it is special."

"Oh, Freddie."

"Personally, I can't think of a better place to get married." Freddie went on.

Chloe gave him a big hug.  She was touched.  All this time she wanted perfection and Freddie was the sentimental one.  "Yes Freddie I agree."

They exchanged their vows in that tiny diner, vowing to love each other through the good times and the bad. 

"I do," Chloe said.

"I do too," said Freddie.

 Before she knew it she was Mrs. Chloe Highmore. 

Everyone in the diner cheered as Chloe and Freddie took their first kiss as husband and wife.  Since the reception was at home they decided to have it there at the diner instead.  They had the special and enjoyed the day.

Chloe knew this would be just one great day out of many with her new husband.  She was happy.