Into the Arbor Wilds

Tilda was crossing the Frostbacks when they caught her. She was descending down into Orlais, using routes she had explored during her youth. It seemed a long time ago, the days when she had sat around in the mountains, making a magical racket to draw the Templars in.

She pushed on through the snow, feet skidding on the rocks. A hand suddenly caught her elbow, steadying her. "Easy there, Guardian." Dawlish grinned at her. He was breathing hard.

"You make quick work of these mountains." Greer nodded. "I've never come this way. We had to move fast to follow your trail." She was carrying a raven in a cage.

"Together again." Tilda said lightly. "How is Marcus?"

The two elves sighed and rolled their eyes. "He's fine, safely handed over to The Iron Bull. He surrendered. That evil ex girlfriend of his fled. She'll turn up. Nightingale will find her. I don't know why you're so bothered about him. He lied to you!" Greer pointed out.

"I've lied to him plenty of times too." Tilda shrugged. "I'm not angry with him. More worried. And disappointed." She sighed.

"You've got to admit, you're not exactly a match." Dawlish laughed. "The apostate and the mage murderer."

"Plus he's a Shem." Greer shrugged. "Not that I hate them, not like the Dalish elves do, but they're not like us. We'll always be second class citizens. It's why we make such good spies."

"Marcus isn't like that. You heard about his life in the Imperium. He knows what it's like to be on the bottom rung of society."

The three of them headed deep into the Dales. As they went further south, they entered the thick, lush forest of the Arbor Wilds. The ground in places as they approached was trampled. "The army passed through here." Dawlish nodded. "They're not going to be hard to find."

"So Guardian," Greer turned to see Tilda rolling her eyes at the title. "Where are we going? After Nanin and Peeler or after the army?"

"We have no idea where the two scouts are." Tilda sighed. "So after Corypheus's army I suppose." She frowned, "Why is this my decision? You two are the spies."

"You're the Guardian." Dawlish gave that grin.

"You know I hate that nickname." Tilda pouted, striding off down the trampled road of grass. She heard good natured laughter behind her.

The three were glad of the clear tracks. The Arbor Wilds were largely uncharted and unexplored, green light beneath the vast trees and crumbling ruins of an ancient elven world. "It's hard to believe our people had all of this once." Dawlish murmured sadly. "Still at least we know where we are."

It was well known that many who ventured into Arbor Wilds never returned. "I heard a rumour that there were dryads in here." Greer said in a hushed voice.

"And plenty of Elven Ruins. All those treasures." Dawlish's eyes sparkled.

"Hush." Tilda raised a hand. She could hear the distant rumble of voices.

Corypheus's army was vast and sprawling, stationary in the wilds. She left the details to the two professional spies as they scrawled numbers and notes onto the parchment. Leaving it behind, they spotted scouts coming and going. Corypheus was most certainly in search of something.

Greer sent off the raven with the troop size and movements, and then the trio began following the Red Templar scouts.

They were fruitlessly searching, it seemed, examining anything that seemed elven. Her sister Morrigan seemed to be correct, Tilda mused.

That was when arrows flew at the red Templars. The three elves ducked. The Templars, startled, whirled around, only for the ground beneath them to rise and buckle, throwing them into the air. Branches flew from the trees, impaling them.