Norman or Dylan? That is the Question

Norma, Norman, Dylan, and I were all sitting outside of the motel in recovery for the shock that we had just been through. Dylan had his arm wrapped around my shoulders that caused me to feel slight comfort, but I found more solace knowing that Norman was all okay. I could see Deputy Shelby’s body getting wheeled away in a charcoal black colored body bag that caused me to shiver. I was lucky to be alive and not in a body bag myself, but I wondered if being in a body bag was so bad. Norma walked over to me and grabbed my hands in hers as she tilted my chin upward to look at her. She gave me a small smile in attempt to cheer me up and I actually smiled back. I genuinely thought that Norma felt worry for me after that day.

“Katie, can I speak to you?” Sheriff Romero asked as he walked over to us.

I looked over in his direction and nodded as I pulled away from the comforting grasp of the family that had taken me in when my sister “kicked me out”. As I walked over to Romero he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

“When was the last time you saw your sister?” He asked, causing me to tense up slightly, but not in a noticeable fashion.

“About a couple of weeks, why?” I asked, trying to sound as oblivious as possible.

“Any particular reason you haven’t spoken to her in so long?” He asked.

I looked down at the ground and sighed, twirling my hair in my hands. I was glad that my excuse was that she kicked me out. That way, my signs of nervousness could be easily mistaken as gestures of anger or impatience.

“She kicked me out of the house for back sassing her.” I scoffed, trying to laugh off the fact I committed homicide.

“Well,” Romero began, shoving his hands in the front of his pockets in an attempt to try and tell me whatever it was he had to say. “One of your sister’s friends went into the house before we were called over here and discovered your sister dead... in your room.” He said.

I gasped, trying really hard to act as though I wasn’t expecting the news. I suddenly began to cry. I didn’t know where the tears came from, but they were genuinely pouring out of me.

“Wh-what do you mean dead?” I asked, trying hard not to laugh at the whole bullshit situation.

“I am so sorry Katie.” Romero said awkwardly as he walked me over to Norma.

Romero wasn’t one to give a heartspoken sentiment to relieve your grieving. He just kind of stood there awkwardly. He was a tough man and I appreciated that. As Norma glanced at Romero, I gave Dylan a hug and he hugged me back in an attempt to calm down.

“What’s wrong?” Dylan asked, kissing my forehead.

“My sister’s dead.” I said, glancing over at Norman who was sitting awkwardly on a step.