Prologue

"Come on cucciola I'd do it all the time with the guys when we got buzzed at a party; I still do it sometimes. It's fun I promise." He tries to convince me.

I ignore him calling me the nickname I'm slowing growing fond of and ask, "What if something happens?"

He places one of his hands on my knee and looks me straight in the eyes. "Nothing will happen to you. I promise."

"Alright, let's do this." I sigh and nod my head. He lets out a small 'whoop' and pulls back onto the road, starting off slow.

Shakily, I undo my seat belt. I bring my feet up to the seat and slowly rise through the sunroof of the car and instantly feel the wind lapping through my hair, furiously blowing it behind me, while Mateo slowly begins to accelerate. As I stand completely I feel one of his arms wrap around my legs and look down to catch him send me a reassuring grin before focusing on the road again.

"Just take a deep breathe and relax!" I hear him shout over the wind from inside of the car and I follow his instruction.

I close my eyes and release my breath letting go of everything for this moment. My mother doesn't have cancer, I don't have to stress about studying or my up-and-coming future, one of my best friends isn't in the hospital...it's just me and the stars. I can't fight the grin that spreads across my face as I feel a huge weight lift from my shoulders and hear Pompeii begin to play on the radio, making this moment even more perfect...