Hawaii

My eyes opened slowly as I stretched my arms and legs out, feeling the coolness of my comforter against my face. I took a moment to adjust my vision, but then I caught sight of my suitcase next to my feet at the other end of the bed. 

"I OVERSLEPT!" I shot out of bed and ran to the bathroom, shoving my toothbrush into my mouth. 

I brushed my teeth as I walked around my apartment, grabbing the outfit that I was smart to lay out the night before. I checked the time. 

45 minutes.

I grabbed my suitcase, backpack, my phone, and my keys and then headed out the door. In the Uber on my way to the airport, my phone vibrated in my hand.

Kihyun: Where are you? We were supposed to meet half an hour ago to check in. 

 I bit my lip and tried to sound casual.

Me: I'm on my way already, just overslept. Be there in a bit!

I put my phone in the zipper of my backpack and decided to not worry myself with Kihyun, knowing that he'd just make me more nervous about getting there on time. 

 10 minutes left.

"Uhm...sir? Is there any way we could speed this up? I'm gonna be late for my flight," I leaned forward, trying to sound extra polite.

"Sorry, miss. We would be there in two minutes if it weren't for this crazy traffic."

I felt the panic rise in my chest, but I tried not to freak out, "I understand... thank you..."

Finally, traffic let up a little and we were moving faster. When my driver pulled up to the airport entrance, I swung the car door open and yanked my suitcase out of the backseat.

"Thank you!" I yelled before slamming the door and running inside.

I ran over to the area where people were waiting in lines to check their bags into the plane, and all the way at the end, I spotted Kihyun, who was checking his phone and looking around, tapping his foot. I took advantage of the fact that I was wearing my sneakers and I ran all the way to where he was. When he saw me, he rolled his eyes.

"You're late." 

Out of breath, I put up my index finger. 

"But..." Breath, "I made it," Breath.

He sighed, "Come on," He grabbed the handle of his suitcase, and just as I was about to grab mine, he reached out his hand, "I got it."

"No, it's okay. I can-"

"I said I got it," He was aggressive as he snatched the handle out of my hand, but I didn't recoil the way I usually would. 

Is he actually doing something nice?

We approached the counter and checked our luggage in, and were handed our boarding passes. We were able to relax a little more as we walked over to the metal detectors.

"You sure you didn't wanna just check that in?" Kihyun asked, pointing to my backpack.

"Actually, my wallet and the documents are in here. I don't want to risk losing it. Precious cargo, right?" I held onto the strap.

He nodded, "I guess that's smart."

We placed our shoes and belts into the plastic tubs for them to go through the metal detectors, and then we went through the machines ourselves. 

Finally, we got to a table where they would do a search of the carry-ons. A TSA grabbed my backpack from the bin and placed it in front of herself, carefully unzipping it with gloved hands. She saw my wallet, the documents, and my small makeup bag. She was about to pass it back to me, but then pulled her arm back,