SEVENTEEN

The atmosphere in the house had seemed to change drastically since the night before. Callen wasn't as bitter because she knew Nick had saw the worst in her and her family and yet he stayed. Camri was out for the day with her grandma and aunt, so Callen was more relaxed and happy.

Nick sat in the living room watching Callen play with her nephew and nieces. She was great with kids, but he was sure those 5 kids were the ones who pushed her to not want kids. He could see the love in her eyes when she was around them, the same twinkle in his eye when he looked at her. She laughed and dramatically fell over as the five children tackled her. Nick laughed as he watched them gang up on her and tickle her. Her laugh was contagious and it made him love her even more. She was a giant kid around them and he loved it. Callen at home around kids was a completely different Callen.

"Psst." A low voice said. Nick looked around but saw no one talking. Nick heard it again and noticed her grandpa's mouth barely moving.

"Did you just talk?" Nick asked, shockingly looking at him. Callen had told him he didn't know how to talk anymore, but Nick swore he was the one who just talked.

"Oh I can talk, I just hate these mother fuckers." He replied, readjusting himself in his wheelchair. Nick busted out laughing causing Callen to jerk her head up towards him from under the pile of children.

"Grandpa! That's supposed to be our secret." Callen shouted, smirking to both of them.

"Wait, you knew he could talk?" Nick asked, confusion all over his face. He was filled with excitement and panic as he looked at the frail old man beside him. This family kept him on the edge of his seat, but he loved every minute of it.

"Yeah. You know he had a stroke and pretended he couldn't talk after that, but he talked to me the day I moved away and proceeded to tell me 'get the hell out while I could'." Callen said, walking over towards them. The children ran away, probably to find their mother of grandma. "Best advice of my life."

"You got the only one with some damn sense in the crowd." Her grandpa muttered, leaning over to talk to Nick.

"Papa!" She shouted. Callen knew she was her grandpas favorite of the family, but she hated for one of the family members to hear him. She felt special knowing she shared a special bond and secret with her grandpa.

"Callen? What's wrong with grandpa?" Her mother asked, running into the living room. Callen looked at her wide eyed.

"Nothing!" She shouted. Nick quickly grabbed onto her grandpa who pretended to be falling out his wheelchair. "Grandpa was falling, but...uh...Nick caught him."

"I-oh-okay..." Her mother replied, eyeing them all suspiciously. Callen smiled a big, fake smile to her mother. Nick held onto her Grandpa awkwardly, refusing to look at her mother before he laughed. Once her mother left, Callen and Nick began giggling.

"Good lord, welcome to the family, Nick." Callen said, sitting next to Nick on the sofa. Nick helped her grandpa back in the chair and then sat beside her.

"I'd love to be apart of this family, this very dysfunctional family of yours, one day maybe." Nick giggled, grabbing her hand in his. Callen smirked and laid her head on his chest. Bringing Nick home for Thanksgiving was probably not her best idea to cross her mind, but she was glad he was still sticking around.

➖➖➖

Hi guys! Does anyone even remember this story bc yikes! I feel like I haven't wrote in forever! But I'm back! Writing is my getaway from life and rn I need to write before I lose my fucking mind, so prepare for some updates and maybe a new story 🥴