Chapter Six

I dreamt of the boy I once knew. Yet he held no recognition in real life. It does not matter now. I opened my eyes, tears leaving my eyes.

I hear shuffling, "Are you okay? Are you in pain?" I see his head guard.

"I am alright, I still need to know your name." I yawn.

"Hayden. I have to call for the King. He demanded to be called when-"

"It's alright, I will go see him." I stand carefully.

He is hesitant to let me go. But concedes. I walk to his office where Hayden said he would be.

I knock and there is no answer. I open it carefully. I see him asleep at his desk. There are leather bound books at his hands. He must have fallen asleep reading. I look to the couch where a blanket it. I grab it quietly. Adding this to all the things he would never know of me.

I cover him gently as he murmurs in his sleep. I smile before walking out. His lover entering the room. "What are you doing here?" She says angrily.

"I simply had to talk, I'm no threat," I say bored.

"Yes, you are! You are ruining my chance of marrying the man I love!" She shouts. I shut the office door to let him sleep.

"No offense, but the billions of people matter more than us. Trust me, I want him to be happy, but three lives versus billions?" I pause. "There is no competition." I start walking away.

"You shouldn't even be able to rule. You are a disgrace, and you are weak." She snarls.

"What you think and what the truth is, are two different things."

"Don't turn your back on me, bitch!" I can hear her approach me and I grab her hand before she can hit me.

"Try me," I say annoyed.

The door opens as she launches herself away from me falling to the floor crying.

Kai looks at me angrily as if I was the cause of his harlot falling. "She threatened me! She just shoved me, Kai! I was only trying to get to you to check on you." She sobbed out. Kai approached her and picked her up in his arms.

"Leave her alone, you got your way. You get me in name only." He snarls going back to coo to her.

I stay silent walking away, I bump into the angry Queen. She is glaring. Surprisingly not at me, but at the couple.

"Queen Cera, it is not even worth it," I say quietly.

"How dare he disrespect you, even I saw what happened!" She growls out.

"Queen Cera, I am always going to be the woman who wormed her way into your kingdom. It does not matter what the truth is, he cannot look past the looks to see the truth." I walk away. "I heard what happened in the arena, our soldiers are proud and even respect you as our future Queen. Despite my son."

"I shall serve to the best of my ability. We are married. I am a Queen first and foremost, three lives versus billions. There is no contest." I say reciting the response I have parroted too many times in my twenty-one years.

"But your happiness..." She says tears reaching her honey gold eyes.

"It isn't ideal, but I shall find my happiness where it matters. My people. They are safer for it. The war has stopped and while there is still loathing, people will be better off." I state taking her hand gently.

"You and your husband were lucky, as were my grandparents. That is just not in the stars for me. As long as he is even a little happy with the woman he loves, then I can live knowing the man I love is happy, even if it is not with me."