Chapter 3

Tris POV

          Tobias's hand makes me feel better, even if I know something is going to happen soon. We are in a small gray abnegation house, it's very dark but there is a spotlight coming from above where me and tobias stand.

          "Tris what fear is this?" tobias asks, I don't answer right away because i'm not quite sure what fear it is myself. That is until I see them. At least ten or so abnegation people come out of the shadows, I can see my parents.

          "Fear of betraying the ones i love" I can tell that my voice is shaky but I ignore it. As soon as i say this people start inching towards us and i scream. "I had to! I'm sorry I wasn't the selfless person you all wanted me to be."

          I am to the point of tears, the people getting closer and closer. I am feeling overwhelmed so I squat down, desperately trying to get away.

          I suddenly feel arms wrap around me, not abnegation arms but strong warm and comforting ones. Tobias. I can feel my heart rate slow because of his touch.

          "No wonder you left us then, your a selfish child and you don't deserve the last name Prior!" I can hear my mom yell. I scream again, i know she is right and i can't bear to hear her say it.

          "Tris," tobias says while tightening his grip on my body "you needed to leave them, it was the right thing to do. It would be selfish for them to feel betrayed by your changing of factions" i what he is saying has some truth to it, but what if he is wrong.

          He takes my face in his hands and continues talking, "you have me tris, i am your family now and i..." he pauses to kiss me.

          "I love you beatrice prior"

Tris POV

          The next three fears go by faster than the first few because all I can seem to think of is what tobias said. That was the first time either of us has said anything like that to each other so to me it's shocking but nice that he said he loved me. I would have said it back but before i could the landscape had changed and a water current was taking us away from each other.

          I was thinking and I decided that I would find a time to tell him how I feel. I would tell him how much I love him tonight before we sleep, or at least that's what ibe been telling myself. I suddenly remember where I am and what I should be doing.

          Me and tobias are attached to a wooden pole that is on fire, we are being yelled at by peter and other dauntless members. They are all saying similar things, "burn the stiffs" or "you both are cowards get out of dauntless" i probably should be thinking of a way out but i let myself get wrapped up into my thoughts once more.

          I can see tobias struggle to get free from the ropes right before the flames block my view. I know that the fear will change soon and this scares me more then what is currently happening. My next fear will be my last and worst fear, the one where tobias will learn how I truly feel about him. I don't want to lose him this way, but I know he needs to see. Plus its too late now.

          The scene changes and we are in tobias's room in the Dauntless headquarters. You can hear the water running in the bathroom, I assume someone is in there taking a shower.

          "What fear is this" tobias askes. I shiver he is going to find out sooner or later so i might as well tell him now. So I start to talk "it's the fear of" but i suddenly get cut off as a figure steps out of the bathroom and into the bedroom where me and the real tobias stand.

          "The fear of intimacy."