4. Come...

"Lucy, you're in way over your head with that boy."

"Violet... I know the man has a girlfriend. Does that mean I cannot attend his concert as a friend?"

"Like I said, Lucy. I'll say it again. Since you missed that part: You're in over your head."

"My partner before you... he and I worked together for three years and never even learned each other's names. Excellent partner. We still never talk sometimes," Lucy reminisced, making light of her detached, objective, goal-oriented relationship with her previous partner. "I know boundaries, Violet."

"Diana!" Violet yelled into the other room to Diana, who meticulously packed her things to visit her parents. "Lucy wants to go to another concert with Freddie tonight... Do you think she should go?!"

"I'm not listening and I strongly disagree," Diana replied.

Lucy snorted. "Thank you, Diana. I'm going anyway!"

"Do what you want. The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am," Diana settled.

"Lucy-" Violet cautioned.

"Violet. Whenever you visit friends, family, and loved ones... Every single time, I'm left all by myself," Lucy began.

Violet reflected on the forthright sting in Lucy's words. Considering all the occasions when she enjoyed quality time and breaks with family, Lucy never had an opportunity to experience that.

"I know he has a girlfriend, Violet. I do. I'm not changing that. I'm 25 years old. I've never had a boyfriend. And I don't see myself getting one. My life is full of death, decisions, and doing for others. I'm not exactly girlfriend material."

Violet's gaze on Lucy softened. She uncrossed her arms, opening her mouth to make words, but for once, nothing came out this time. Knowing well that Lucy lived in Alpha Team's domain many years longer than she had, she opened her mind to the possibilities of what Lucy might have seen and experienced.

"I used to have nothing. Everything was taken from me. But then... I got this job. And I am better because of it. And even though sometimes, I feel like I just can't do this a day longer, I'm still trying to be better." Lucy admitted. "I just..." her voice sunk. "I can't do this forever, Violet... I can't. Is this all that I am? Is this all there is for me? Job after job... I don't want to run for the rest of my life."

She sat down on the bed, with Violet's suitcase at her feet. Violet sat next to her, present with her in this feeling she knew well. "For once," Lucy continued, "I actually did have fun. I enjoyed that concert last night. I do want to go tonight, Violet. This is perhaps the last one I'll ever be able to attend."

"I know, Lucy... I just don't want you to get hurt."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Run, Lucy.

Faster, Lucy. Run.

Hypersensitive to her surroundings, Lucy ran through the forest just outside of Ine Kyoto village at neck-breaking speed.

If only I could escape from the memory of this destruction, too.

She didn't notice the tears flying from her face. With life's stakes at their absolute highest, Lucy sprinted miles until the dojo of her neighboring village emerged into view. Catching her breath, she knocked frantically on the big brass doors.

Although not exactly who she expected to answer, a monk opened the door, standing before her in reticence, his implicit gaze communicating for him.