Chapter 2

After climbing out of the sewer through a grate, Amon darted into an inconspicuous corner and set down the ghoul. He then peeked out, trying to orient himself sufficiently. When he at least figured out the cardinal directions, Amon hoisted the ghoul over his shoulder and took off down the nearest northbound alleyway, trying to be as discreet as possible so as to not attract any doves.

I can't believe I'm doing this. I feel like a ghoul, sneaking around these dirty streets. Then again, as a ghoul enabler I've already crossed over to their side -- I might as well be one.

Amon felt sick. How could he betray the CCG? The surprisingly light weight of the ghoul's body on his shoulder suddenly felt a bit heavier.

A life for a life. Is this justice?

Amon slowed to a walk as he approached the apartment building Hide had directed him to. He entered the building as natural-looking as possible (which isn't saying much when a battered body is draped over your shoulder) and managed to get to the apartment without any of Hide's neighbors spotting him. He fumbled with the keys, stumbled in, and quickly shut the door behind him. Phew.

Finally, he thought, I made it. He paused for a second to steady his breathing and close his eyes. Nagachika left his lights on, he thought dimly as he looked around the place. Then he went down the hall, into the living room, and gingerly placed Eyepatch onto the couch. Amon sat in the chair beside him. His eyes went over the ghoul's body, stopping at his wounds. They really haven't healed at all. Will he be sane when he wakes up? He found himself holding Donato's cross, his fingers slightly shaky as they moved across the edges. Get ahold of yourself, he thought, and took a deep breath to be steady.

I guess I have a lot to think about.