T̳h̳e̳ ̳P̳h̳a̳n̳t̳o̳m̳ ̳o̳f̳ ̳t̳h̳e̳ ̳O̳p̳e̳r̳a̳

Summary: Based on the 1910 horror novel by Gaston Leroux, The Phantom of the Opera is a thrilling and romantic account of the legendary Phantom, a musical genius who dwells deep beneath a majestic opera house in Paris. Shunned by society for his horrible facial deformity, he takes a promising young soprano, Christine, under his wing and grooms her for operatic fame, all the while falling deeply in love with her. As Christine grows ever more successful, and a handsome young man from her past begins to successfully court her, the Phantom descends into a jealous rage and terrorizes the opera company with increasingly dangerous threats.

━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━

1. Christine Daaé (Taken by me): Christine is the main female protagonist of the novel. Christine is originally from Sweden. Her mother died while she was young; her father, with whom she had a very close relationship, died a few years later, but he passed down his passion for music to Christine and told her tales of an angel of music. Erik manipulates Christine into thinking he is the angel of music, and is thus able to gain her trust. Christine is the love interest of both Erik and Raoul, and Erik's jealousy over her love for Raoul is a major source of conflict throughout the novel.

 Christine is the love interest of both Erik and Raoul, and Erik's jealousy over her love for Raoul is a major source of conflict throughout the novel

2. Raoul de Chagny (Open):

Raoul is the Viscount of Chagny and Christine's childhood friend. When they meet years later, after Raoul watches Christine's performance at the Opera, they fall in love, get engaged, and make plans to elope. However, Erik, who also loves Christine, grows jealous of Raoul; conflict arises as the two men compete for her, despite Erik's feelings being unrequited. He is rash, impatient, and often speaks his mind without considering the relationships that he has built with the people around him, particularly in regard to his brother Philippe and his lover Christine.

 He is rash, impatient, and often speaks his mind without considering the relationships that he has built with the people around him, particularly in regard to his brother Philippe and his lover Christine

3. Erik/The Phantom (Open):

Erik, otherwise known as the Phantom, is the tragic titular character of the novel. He is physically deformed and may be interpreted either as a tragic hero or a tragic villain. Erik falls in love with Christine but expresses his feelings in harmful and at times disastrous manners, such as sabotaging performances and taking Christine captive. He is childish and gives the impression that he is usually one to have things his way (a tendency that is evident in Raoul as well).