CHAPTER VI.

CHAPTER SIX
"DREAM OR NO DREAM."

THE VOID. the place where the mysterious, yet innocent and loving girl would find some of the world's darkest secrets. she could look into one's mind and connect with them, it was an entrance to the soul.

inhale, exhale. inhale, exhale. 11:31 pm, 1986, exactly 54 degrees fahrenheit. eleven found herself entangled in the many stems and leaves, feeling the dirt crush underneath each of her steps. across the road, parallel to the forest was joyce's house. one light managed to flicker on the porch.

eleven tiredly allowed herself up the four steps. her deep breaths making mist as they appeared in the glare. "eleven?" joyce whisper-yelled through the thin window screen. el looked up and nodded, quickly being rushed inside and into warmth.

SPRING, 1986

eleven held her palm over mikes closed eyes, she pushed on his back lightly directing him to where he should go. it was michael wheeler's sixteenth birthday and el was eager to make it special. will insisted that it be at his house and fortunately, joyce agreed. el stopped in front of the long foldable table where many of his presents lay, some small and meaningful, and others quite large. el put her nagging feelings aside, guilty that she couldn't give mike a bigger gift like dustin and will had. however, seeing his curiosity and confusion when she dragged him over to will's house wasn't anything less of reassuring that he'd love what she had put together. she rested her chin on his shoulder and removed her hands yelling, "surprise!" mike's face lit up and his arms immediately wrapped around el's thin body, burying his face into her soft head of hair. "thank you! i can't believe you'd do this for me." she smiled and laid her head on his chest. she could hear his heart beat fast.

his heart. it didn't beat for very long after that.

"...el!" joyce byers murmured for what seemed like the hundredth time to the dazed girl. she was quickly pulled out of her trance, one that seemed to supply her with memories of her past like there was no end.

ever seen a carousel? one moving round and round. constantly spinning, never knowing when to stop, or how to stop, or why it's even there in the first place. eleven matched the automatic child's toy. someone had to be the operator—to stop all the torture and trauma from continuing on. and before it's too late, mind you. before you're stuck in a cycle of nothingness, where you don't even recognize yourself in the mirror. you don't even know your own name.

he was the operator.

eleven looked up withdrawn from the real world. "s-sorry that i was, you know... gone." joyce chuckled in disbelief, "it's okay, sweetheart." she wrapped a quilt around the cold girl's shoulders, pushing her towards the living room where will and johnathan sat, watching cartoons. "you're here now."

eleven's hair rose when she saw wills stern glare. she let out an exasperated sigh, not wanting to deal with her unreasonable brother. she moved her cold feet along the rough carpet and heaved herself over to the guest room, lacking the energy in her hands to close the door.

she had to continue, continue on with life, no matter how long, or how short it may be. she had to live for him. she had to live for mike.

el's eyes burst open, she brought her focus to a dim light, it capturing her senses. she lifted the quilt from her bare legs, sharp cold spikes piercing her skin instantly. peering out her window, she only then realized the darkness—12:00 am? quickly, she darted to the source. a gasp left her lips, before she could leave, a tired will whispered, "el?" she warily turned around, he was in the fridge, drinking...milk? she nodded in response. "what are you doing up?" he questioned the confused girl.