If Sablier Never Happened ~ Chapter 16 ~ The End

"Are you ready for your big day?"
"Vince, how are you so calm and happy about today? I have to throw you into the abyss."
"I know it's for a good reason and it makes me happy to know you don't want to do this."
"But I still have to do it." Gilbert fell on his bed and Vincent sat next to him.
"It's okay, though. You can find someone to replace me."
"When I was fourteen, I promised you I would find a way out of this. I broke that promise. I couldn't find a way. Even if I open the abyss, I can't retrieve you. Don't be so happy about this. Don't be so nice to me."
"I knew you wouldn't be able to find a way out of this. I'm okay with that." Vincent moved a piece of hair from Gilbert's face. "I'm happy that you tried."
"I don't deserve you being so nice to me."
"I think I should leave you alone for the rest of the day. I want to see you as much as I can, but I don't want your mental state to fall apart. You need to be in one piece tonight." Vincent smiled and left.
"I wish I didn't have to do this. Why do I have to sacrifice him?" Gilbert locked his door and windows, closed his curtains, and sprawled out on his bed. "I don't want to see anyone today. No one at all."
Gilbert sat in his room the entire day. He didn't let anyone in. He ignored the people who insisted on helping him dress, all the maids, and even Oswald. He was now dressing himself for the ceremony.
"I wish I could just skip this ceremony. If only there weren't so many guards on duty." Gilbert sighed and walked out of his room. He looked around to see if anyone was around. When he found no one was there, he walked down to the ceremony. When he got there, Oswald grabbed him.
"Why were you in your room all-day and why are you late?"
"I don't want this to happen. Where is Vincent?"
"I believe he is telling everyone goodbye."
Gilbert felt his heart clench. "Is there any way I can get out of this?"
"No. There is no possible way."
"Are you ready for this, nii-san?"
"I will never be ready for this."
Oswald grabbed Gilbert's arm. "It's time for the final transfer."
Gilbert stood in front of Oswald.
"Tonight you will be receiving the final chain before you can be officially called Glen."
Oswald cut himself so he bled into a chalice. Gilbert hesitantly drank it. He closed his eyes during the transfer.
"You know what you must do now."
Gilbert turns to a smiling Vincent.
"I'm sorry I broke the promise."
"It's alright."
Gilbert pressed his hand to Vincent's forehead. "Your sin is that of being born as a child of ill omen. That which threatens the peace of the abyss." Tears were in Gilbert's eyes while he watched in horror as Vincent's smile was swallowed by the abyss.
"You are now the official Glen Baskerville."
Everyone bowed down to Gilbert. After a minute, Gilbert ran out. He fell to his knees.
"I just killed my younger brother. I KILLED my BROTHER." Gilbert started shaking and threw up. He tensed when he felt a hand on his shoulder.
"Gilbert."
"Leave me alone, Oswald."
"Listen. Vincent wanted to go. He wanted to go for you."
"That makes it even worse."
"You can't dwell on this forever. You said you were going to be fine with this."
"I was wrong. Haven't you ever been wrong before?"
"That's not the point. You have to get over this."
"I don't have to." Gilbert took a deep breath. "I will pretend. Vincent wouldn't want me grieving forever. Although this day will never leave my memory, I will not let it affect me." Gilbert turned to walk back in.
"I'm proud of you, Gilbert."
"That means absolutely nothing to me. And neither do you."