two

I mindlessly twiddled the little piece of paper in my fingers, sitting comfortably in my bed, a phone attached to my ear. Safe from the icy winds that was waiting outside.

"It's been a week and you still haven't called or said anything?" A voice from the device speaks.

I groan, staring blankly ahead as I reply, "Nope."

"C'mon, Lil. You haven't spoken in years, this is an opportunity for closure."

I feel my eyebrows furrow, "I don't care, Sarah, she could've approached me like a normal person, instead she came into my room and left me a note, like it's the 1900's."

Sarah's laugh echos through the phone, "I think it's sweet, and I get her." She tells me, I roll my eyes. "She's probably just as nervous to talk as you are."

I look out the window to the houses across the street. Each house was covered in Christmas decorations, twinkly lights, reindeers and elves atop rooves. All apart from the Everett's - Caroline, her horrid husband and Kaz - their house was plain, not a Christmas decor in sight. Their roof had a large, grey solar panel sitting atop it, and in their windows hung right wing political slogans.

They aren't a festive bunch, but they aren't grumpy either. They're known for their confidence and pride, they aren't people who are nervous to talk. Especially from what I can remember Kaz to be, and you can't change a massive part of your personality in four years, can you?

I take my eyes away from the window, jumping back into my bed and pulling the covers up to my neck, "She didn't even look in my direction the entire party, I don't know what her game is but I'm not here for it."

I hear my best friend groan, "Just message her, get over it."

Ignoring her, I continue "I mean it's smart really, it means that the ball's in my court, you know? She tried to reach out to me first, she can rest and relax. Me on the other hand, I have to obsess and think what I'm going to say, and it's all just one, big headache. And if I don't say anything, I'm the one that will regret it, she won't regret a thing because she has a clear conscience from leaving this stupid little victorian note! It's clever! Maniacal even!"

"It's too early for this."

I sigh, "I know." I close my eyes and bring a hand out of my duvet to rub at my eyes tiredly. "I'll call her."

"Yeah, good. Anyways, you have some really good things happening in your life right now, it does you no good focussing on her."

I murmur my reply. "Yeah, I guess."

"I'm right!" She replies. "C'mon, you're at your final year of uni, you had a great year in India, you have that girl you've been chatting to as well, what's her name, Claire?" I hum in reply. "You're doing good, please don't let Kaz bring you down."

"Yeah, you are right." I agree, "I can't be bothered for all of this, it's so childish and stupid. I just wished that if she wanted to talk to me she took the opportunity at the christmas party."

"I wish she did too, but she obviously didn't want to for a reason, don't you think?." I hum again, this time pondering on the idea. "Anyway, I have to go, animals to lock up and all." She finishes with a laugh.

I smile. Sarah was an extremely kind and compassionate friend, I reminisce of the day we met in our course. While I took a year off and worked in India, she had graduated University and got a job in a zoo. I missed her company in classes.

"I'll tell you what happens if I call her."

"Good."

I cuddle more into my bed once we end the call. Since it was New Years Eve, my father and step-mother plan to go out on a date to end the year and start the new one. Romantic rubbish.