The Question

As they settled in Lucifer's living room with their snacks and coffee, both of their minds continued to swirl with various thoughts, the opposite of how they each usually behaved. 

“Let’s talk about the case.” 

“Let’s talk about our kiss.”

Dan and Lucifer stared at each other in surprise as they had both spoken at the same time, but with very different thoughts. Dan blushed as he realized how forward he was being while Lucifer was putting work first for a change.

Lucifer put down his coffee before reaching over to set Dan’s down as well. Taking Dan’s hands into his own, he silently looked his partner in the eye for a few moments. Lucifer took in the earnestness in Dan’s eyes and a warm feeling of acceptance flooded through him.

“My dear Daniel,” he moved a hand up to cup his detective’s cheek. “Right now, what are the deepest desires of your heart?”

As with others, Daniel was mesmerized by Lucifer’s power when he asked the question. However, right now it was different for Dan. Unbeknownst to him, this was not the first time he had been able to withstand a Celestial power. Lucifer’s question grabbed him at first, but then he was drawn into the chestnut eyes he had grown to love. He took a deep breath to steady himself as he reached up to cover the hand on his face. 

“I was wondering when you’d ask me that. You, Lucifer. I want to kiss you, to be yours, and to love you. That’s what Iwant, but what about you? You’re the Devil, after all, an Archangel. What could you possibly want from me besides our work partnership and maybe sex? I am but a puny human compared to you. And on top of that, why choose me when you could have any glamorous, beautiful, or handsome human that you desire?"

Suddenly losing his nerve, Dan pulled his hand back and stood. He needed space, he needed air. After the morning he’d had, he just wouldn’t be able to deal with it if his partner rejected him. Dan walked over to the bar and poured himself a drink as this moment required something quite a bit stronger than coffee. While he began sipping on his drink, his partner sat in shock.

Little did Dan know, but Lucifer had been feeling the same fear of rejection. The Devil was not blind. He had noticed Dan’s growing interest just as his own had increased. A part of him wanted to keep to his earlier resolve to not say or do anything about his feelings, lest he get hurt. But maybe this was the right moment. He pushed aside his worries and stood to walk over to the bar.

Dan had just drained his glass when he heard Lucifer’s footsteps. Before he could turn around, he felt two strong arms wrap around his waist.

Lucifer rested his head on Dan's head and hugged his human. “Daniel, I’m not sure what is distressing you exactly but perhaps my answer to your question will help. First, let me make one thing clear. I don't choose to be anywhere else or with anyone else right now. Second, I…well let me show you.” 

Dan felt himself being turned around. Lucifer took the empty tumbler from his hands and set it on the bar.

“Luce, what are you--”

The police detective was cut off as his partner gently cupped his face and kissed him. This was completely unexpected, but precisely what Dan needed at that moment. He wrapped his arms around his Fallen Angel and returned the kiss with equal amounts of emotion.