Chapter 4

Love and Letters

Chapter 4

"Let's see what's inside!" Suraya chimed excitedly the second I let myself into my house.

I gave her a dark look. "Can you calm down?"

"Nah-uh!" she clapped her hands excitedly as we walked into my bedroom, dropped out mountains of school bags and slipped off our shoes before walking bag into the kitchen. "It's my friend's first gift from a guy! This is exciting and I get to be a witness."

"First, I need food. What do you want? I'm craving French toast."

"Yeah, French toast sounds fine," she says as she goes to the fridge and begins pulling out the stuff that I need.

In the meantime, I grabbed the bowl and sugar and pan. Within fifteen minutes, Suraya and I ploughed through the stack of Nutella covered French toast and were ready to start studying. I knew, however, that she would want to first see what the gift was. If I was being truthful, there was a slight undercurrent of curiosity bubbling in my tummy.

I stacked the dirty dishes in the sink and wiped up the messed counters before slowly making my way to my bedroom. I was hesitant to enter, but at the same time I was also excited to see what the gift could be.

"Can we see it now?" Suraya asked almost jumping on her seat on my bed. The gift was delicately cradled in her hands and from the way the crinkle paper still peeked out from the top, I knew she hadn't even tried to open it.

I sighed and gestured for the gift bag as I sat down. For unknown reasons, I felt my stomach become a ring for trapeze artists to swing about. I held the bag tentatively in my hand.

"This is stupid," I mumbled. "I can't understand why I'm feeling nervous to open it."

"Are you dealing in drugs illegally? Are you running some kind of underground fights?"

I gave her a dull look. "Yes. I'm terrified he has proof of my somewhat unfavourable double life, that's why," I snapped with sarcasm dripping thickly off my words.

"Exactly my point," she clapped her hands. "There is nothing to be frightened off."

I looked down at the pretty gift bag and for the first time, I truly studied it. It was beautiful. A light pink background with cerise pink hearts and golden glittered flowers haphazardly decorated the bag. Gently, I pulled out the crinkle paper and folded it neatly before I looked inside. The first thing that caught my eye was a glittering gold envelope.

"To the prefect with the prettiest smile," I read aloud and passed the envelope to Suraya.

"I told you that he was staring at you!" she flaunted excitedly.

I blushed and nodded, with both of our scarves off, the hair fell from my ponytail. "I know, but I didn't smile at all around him!"

She twirled the envelope around in her hands. "Maybe, it is an expression?" she asked unsurely.

I shrugged. "I don't know, it just seems a bit creepy."

"Even if it is slightly cute..." she teased with a wink as she inspected the envelope for all it was worth.

"It's thick and fancy material. It's definitely expensive. Plus, it matches the gold on the outside of the gift bag, which clearly means that he put thought into it. Look at how it glitters faintly." Suraya tilted the envelope several times in the sunlight that streamed through the windows.

Then, she passed it back to me. "Well, let's see what else Mr C has sent his Mrs."

I gave Suraya a dour glance. "I'm not his Mrs," I reminded her harshly. Then, I pushed open and looked in the bag and the gasp that escaped was automatic. I could feel my eyes widen at the sight. The first box I pulled out had my fingers shaking. It was a huge tray of Ferrero Rocher. Twenty-four gold wrapped chocolate balls sparkled up at me mockingly.