14 - Couple Goals

**Kim**

My eyes were crossing so I slipped my glasses on. I hadn't worn them in years and I'd never imagined that working with a rock band would involve so much paper work that I'd need to dig them out the box where I'd long ago buried them.

Finally able to see the document in front of me clearly I grabbed a highlighter and highlighted a couple of lines before snatching up another sheet of paper and examining it. I swept my highlighter across the second sheet of paper before circling the highlighted portions on both documents with red pen.

"Which of these is correct?" I asked Lucy who sat beside me at her dining table. I pushed the two documents toward her. Picking each one up in turn she examined the highlighted sections before consulting her tablet.

"Huh. Someone fucked up on the crew itinerary." She scribbled down a couple of notes on the notepad in front of her. She put a big tick beside one of my highlights and passed it back to me. "Thank god you're here to help me. I might have missed that one. You'll need to check with the travel agent that there are no mistakes on their end."

I added it to my rapidly growing to-do pile as I stifled a yawn. Morning sickness hadn't touched me but fatigue? Fatigue had knocked me on my arse. Not that I planned on letting Lucy – or Van for that matter – know anything about it. They'd done me a favour by giving me this job and I wasn't planning on letting them down. Lucy may have been my best friend but I had a pretty good idea that it was Van who'd stuck his neck out to help me avoid falling back on my father's money.

I didn't think I was doing too badly if I were being honest. Sure it was a completely different industry to what I was used to but my eye for detail and ability to coordinate a team had been a huge benefit.

Lucy raised her arms above her head and stretched out her back as she complained, "Uh. There's still so much to do." She curled her lip at the papers scattered across the table in front of her.

Lucy and Bas's flat had a drool worthy home office. It was like something out of a magazine – utterly covetable. I'd soon discovered that no matter how dreamy her office, Lucy preferred to spread herself out on the dining table. It might have had something to do with the guy who entered the room from the direction of the bedroom and stopped behind her chair to wrap his arms around her.

Bas was a good looking guy by anyone's definition. Hell he'd been named People Magazine's 'Sexiest Man Alive' twice for cripes sake. In my eyes it wasn't his perfect bone structure, muscular physique or lustrous dark hair that made him attractive. No, what made Bas one of the most attractive men I'd ever seen was the way he looked at my best friend. The guy got a little dazed every time he looked at her. There was nothing more attractive than a guy who looked at the woman he loved the way Bas looked at Lucy. Strangely enough it was an instant lady-boner killer. At least it was for me. Who'd want to break something like that up?

If only Bradley had looked at me that way. Or not. I don't know what I'd have done if he had. Would I have let him leave his wife for me? It would have been just one more step down the path to being my mother. Ugh. That was not a fate I was remotely interested in.

Bas took a break from nuzzling into Lucy's neck and shot me a smile. "Hey Kim. I see you're working with my Kitten. I'm glad she's finally decided to take on some help. I've been trying to throw Zac and Georgie at her but she keeps refusing their help." Lucy made a muffled sound of protest followed by a gasp as he returned to the very serious business of nibbling on her ear.

I wondered just how much Lucy had told Bas about my 'situation'. How utterly bloody embarrassing if she'd told him the full details of the Bradley disaster. Chances were she had. After all, girl code no longer applied since I'd told Van before I'd told her. I really didn't want to remember the look of hurt in her eyes when I'd finally broken down and confessed to her why I'd chucked my job in. Where exactly did that leave me and Bas? It wasn't as though he could congratulate me on my pregnancy, shit I hadn't even worked out yet if I wanted to be congratulated. It was safe to assume that Bas and I were avoiding the topic of babies completely.