Chapter 5

Yumi shuffled in her bed. The calming embrace of sleep was so welcoming that she at first didn't hear her phone vibrate. She tossed and turned, hoping the vibration was just a dream or a nightmare starting to form. But the vibration would not stop, and with each ring it kept getting louder and louder. Finally, she relented and answered the bloody phone. This better be important..., "Ulrich, do you have any idea what time it is?! I'm trying to get some much-needed sleep!" She yelled quietly, hoping her parents and brother couldn't hear her.

"Well for your information, sweet cheeks, something weird is up with Jeremie, Odd, and me. We woke up in the forest in this black stuff that resembled our Lyoko gear." Ulrich said over the phone, annoyed at Yumi's attitude.

"Sweet cheeks? You are definitely barking up the tree, aren't you?" Yumi replied, taken aback by Ulrich's comment. "Want me to come to the factory? I hope it's not going to interfere with our camping trip. I already managed to convince my parents of the details and they agreed with it 100%." She finished as she sat up, rubbing the sand out of her eyes and gathering her clothes.

"If you wouldn't mind, that'd be great. And I can't wait for our camping trip, just as long as you get your ass here and now." With that, Ulrich hung up the phone. Okay... what has gotten into him? Maybe whatever happened on Lyoko is starting to rear its ugly head. Yumi slipped her pants on as she put her phone in her pocket, grabbing her bike key as she slid her shirt over her arms. Opening the window, Yumi quickly stepped outside and slid down from the shingles that decorated the roof of the Ishiyama residence.

"So far so good, now just need to make it to the bike."

Yumi tip toed to the garage area, finding her black bike ready for the taking. "Let's see how fast I can peddle this thing!" She unlocked the bike from its chain and immediately started riding towards the factory, taking care to avoid busy roads and alleyways that looked overtly suspicious. If Ulrich is in trouble, I need to act. Time for me to stop being the one who always needs to be saved from the Digital Sea.

                                                                   * * * * 

Aelita sat in her bed, dreaming of her date with Jeremie. That night had been of the greatest she had ever felt since coming to Earth. Jeremie sure did know how to treat a girl, even if he himself was a little socially awkward. He had made sure they had plenty of snacks, nice seats, even got her a nice gift on the way home. She had repaid everything he'd done with a kiss on his cheek. Next time I must do more. She thought to herself as the dream progressed to the actual movie. Suddenly, her stupor was interrupted by a vibration. Who in the heck would be calling me at this hour? Aelita looked down to her phone, the caller ID having Jeremie's number being displayed. Jeremie, the boy sure does know when to call doesn't he? "Jeremie? What's going on?" Aelita asked, trying to cover her yawn.

"Hey Aelita, something's come up at the factory. Ulrich, Odd and I woke up in the forest just a moment ago and now we're at the factory." Jeremie said over the line, sounding a little agitated from their date just hours earlier.

"Okay Jeremie, I'll be there in a jiff. Just let me get my clothes on."

"Please hurry. XANA may decide to launch an attack." Jeremie hung up immediately.

Aelita sighed. So much for a good night of well-deserved sleep. XANA couldn't let them rest for even a moment. She got a pair of maroon pants out of her closet and a black hoodie. Sure, it wasn't glamorous, but it would do for a quick trip to the factory. I hope the boys are okay. I knew there was something wrong when we got back from Lyoko. But why didn't the Supercomputer pick it up? She tip-toed out the door through the staircase, hoping not to wake up Jim. Come on Aelita, just a little farther and you'll be in the courtyard. She got through the staircase and creaked open the door leading to the courtyard of the school. The coast seemed clear, and she knew it was time to book it. She threw the door open and ran as fast as she could towards the forest. Jeremie needed her and she would always be there to help him, just as he was always there for her. But her actions didn't go unnoticed...