Ch. 2 || Awkward Silence

Uma bolted from Mal's room. She had to find Mal before Maleficent did. Who knew what Maleficent would do to punish her daughter?

"Mal?" Uma yelled. "Mal!"

She ran from room to room. Finally, she came to one of the many living rooms of the castle. 

"Mal?" She called, out of breath. 

"Shh, I'm dead," came a voice from the couch. That's when Uma saw her. 

It was obvious, now that Uma knew she was there. Mal was lying on the couch, with a blanket over her body and head. Her purple hair streamed out from under the blanket. 

Uma walked over to her and threw the blanket off of her. She was lying with her hands crossed over her chest. Mal's eyes fluttered open. Uma sat by her feet. 

"What are you doing? Why are you dead?" Uma asked. Mal sighed and sat up, ending up right next to Uma. 

"You wouldn't understand," Mal said. 

"I can try," she offered. "Is this about breakfast?"

Mal shook her head. "No."

Uma looked at her. "Are you okay?" she asked, finally noticing how pale Mal was. 

Mal nodded. "I'm fine." 

"You can tell me anything. You know that, right?" Uma asked. 

Mal looked away. "Yeah."

Uma reached to put her arm around Mal, then stopped. She suddenly felt like they were being watched. Mal seemed to feel it too, but with the opposite reaction. She shuddered and leaned closer to Uma. The feeling of being watched left them, and Mal realized what she was doing. She awkwardly moved away from Uma. 

Uma tried again. "Mal, are you sure you're-"

"I'm okay, Uma. Really," Mal closed her eyes and leaned back onto the couch. 

Uma quickly tried to think of something to say. She wasn't going to leave Mal alone with Maleficent hunting her, but she wasn't going to sit there in awkward silence, either. 

"Uhh, wanna come to my place?" she offered. 

Mal opened her eyes and turned to her. "Now?" 

"Sure," Uma said, quickly looking outside to make sure Maleficent wasn't there. She wasn't. Uma sighed with relief.

Mal gave her a questioning look. She had heard her sigh. Uma thought quickly. 

"I wasn't sure if you would say yes. I mean, we were enemies for most of our lives."

Mal nodded. "I know what you mean." 

Uma stood up and offered her hand to Mal, who took it. She stood beside Uma, and the girls headed back to where the others were still eating. 

Ben looked at them questioningly. 

"Mal's fine," Uma said. She didn't miss the look Evie gave Mal, or the one Mal shot back at Evie. She just didn't think much of them. Harry looked at Uma, then dropped his gaze to her and Mal's hands, then back at Uma. Uma felt her face reddening, so she just mouthed 'I'll explain later' and lead Mal out of the castle. As soon as they stepped outside, Mal screamed.