Chapter IV

"What have you done to us?" Steven questioned the pink gem — Spinel as he ran up to her and grabbed her shoulders and began to shake her back and forth, his brows furrowed and a glare on his face.

Spinel, however, only giggled, causing Steven to release her and look at her in confusion. She smiled and him and booped his nose, saying, "Boop! Now its your turn!" The gem said playfully, confusing Steven more as he opened his mouth to ask what she meant when she suddenly wrapped her long arms around him and began to shake him, causing him to cry out.

"W-W-Would you cut that out?" Steven yelled, and Spinel stopped, leaving him up in the air, still wrapped in her arms. The teenage boy looked around dizzily, before blinking and shaking his head, regaining his focus. He then looked down at Spinel and said quickly, in a quiet voice, "Please?"

Spinel stared at him for a bit, an unreadable expression on her face, before unwrapping her arms around him and allowing him to drop to the floor as a derpy smile made its way onto her face.

"Hey, look!" Spinal said, climbing on top of Steven and pointing over to the other gems and Greg as Steven looked up, a tired expression on his face. "There's more gems!" Spinel exclaimed happily. She then crawled off of Steven and grinned at him. "Let's ask 'em to play!" She said, bouncing in her place excitedly.

Steven blinked as he pushed himself up. He kneeled up on one knee and leaned over, a sudden headache attacking him, before straightening his back and looking at Spinel, a confused expression on his face. "W-Wait a minute." Steven ran his hand through his hair and glanced over to the pink gem next to him. "You don't remember?"

Spinel tilted her head to the side slightly. "Remember what?"

Steven frowned and stuck his hand in his pocket, where he soon felt the pointed corners of the (F/c) gem he had stuffed in there. His eyes widened and he quickly brought the gem out and showed it to Spinel, hoping it would jog her memory in some way.

"This gem! Do— Do you know who she is?" Steven asked, almost sounding desperate.

Spinel hummed and tapped her chin, narrowing her eyes at the gem in his hands as she leaned her face closer to it to get a better look at the gem stone. She then made a derpy face and shrugged her shoulders, her pupils moving to the opposite corners of her eyes.

"Nope!"

Steven sighed and looked down at the butterfly-shaped gem, once again rubbing his thumbs across its edges soothingly. "Of course you don't. . ." He muttered, a hint of what seemed to be sadness in his voice.

Steven then sighed and stood up.

"Come with me." He muttered, gesturing for Spinel to come over with his finger.

The pink gem smiled and nodded happily before skipping over to him as Steven opened the door, still staring at the gem in his hand.

Who are you? He wondered, not noticing the soft glow beginning to emit from the (F/c) gem as he placed it back into his pocket gently.

* * * * *

"Wowee! That things sure is big!" Spinel exclaimed as Steven, Greg and the rest of the gems stared up at the large injector that sat atop the hill. The machine seemed to pump more and more of the pink liquid inside of it into the Earth with every passing second.

Spinel turned to Steven and began to do yet another silly dance. "You wanna climb it or somethin'?" The pink gem asked rather loudly.

Steven frowned and shook his head, turning to Spinel with disbelief in his eyes. "Wait, wait. Are you serious right now? What about that stuff you—" Steven paused and stared at Spinel for a minute. Was it her that did this? Or was it the other gem? Steven clutched the (F/c) gem in his pocket and shook his head.