28| nervous explosions

Noah had made an effort to dress a little more nicely than he usually did.  Even though the date was at Kayla's house, and he'd been there so many times, he still wanted to look good. Or he hoped he looked good.

He'd chosen to wear a button up long sleeved shirt that was baby blue (the sleeves rolled up to his elbows) with a pair of dark jeans that his mom told him looked great on him. He took her opinion seriously since she was a girl, and Kayla was a girl.

He was nervous. Like really nervous.

It was way worse compared to when he even asked her out. It was a huge relief that she even agreed to it and at the same time it was terrifying. It was bittersweet. He was so paranoid that he'd managed to drive up to her driveway ten minutes earlier than he and Kayla had actually planned the date to start.

It was good but also bad thing.

Good because he could have time to freak out in his car. Bad because he would have time to freak out and his stress would eventually build up and he would eventually explode. Yikes.

Rubbing his hands together, he glanced out of his car window at the house he was parked outside of. The curtains were drawn shut but if Kayla had chosen to look out at any time throughout the whole ten minutes, she would see him being a big wuss.

He sighed and ruffled his curly brown hair, almost slapping himself for doing so. His mom told him that he shouldn't keep messing his hair up every time he was nervous. Especially since he tried to tame his unruly curls specifically for this special occasion. It would go wild if he kept messing it up.

Noah checked the time on his phone. Only six more minutes before it would be time to go in. He sighed, he could go in now and create a good impression at being early but mess up because of his nervousness. Or he could go in exactly on time to do the same thing.

They were both pretty much the same thing, and pretty intimidating too, whichever he chose in the end.

Noah felt the need to bang his head on the steering wheel a couple thousand times but he prevented himself from doing so. Before he could change his mind, he stopped the car and exited it, his heart banging very prominently and strongly against his ribcage.

He slammed his door shut, his fingers gripping his phone. Should he call her? Or should he just ring the doorbell? He wasn't going to make the same mistake as the last time he was here by ignoring the doorbell.

He rubbed the back of his neck and settled on calling her instead. If she didn't pick up, he would ring the doorbell. He nodded to himself and pressed onto Kayla's contact, the picture of her whipped cream smudged face coming into view.

It was adorable, cute, pretty and all that, but it didn't help his nerves from calming down.

He took a deep breath and pressed onto the calling icon. He lifted his phone to his ear, hearing several beeps before Kayla picked up on the other end. "Hello?" She said.

"Hi, it's me. Noah." He winced. She knows who you are, Noah. She obviously would've saved his contact, Noah thought to himself as he shuffled his feet, lifting his gaze from the ground to the house.

"Hi," Kayla said, "Well, when are you coming?" There was some shuffling on the other end.

"Um- about that, I'm actually already outside."

"Oh- right. Okay um, I'm coming. To the door." Kayla said into the phone, sounding surprisingly nervous as well. He was relieved that he wasn't the only one who was nervous. "Right, okay. See you at the door."

"Okay, bye- I mean- see you later. At the door." Noah hung up, cringing as he did so, tucking his phone into his pocket.

He took a deep breath (he seemed to be doing that a lot) as he walked to the front door. There was no more going back. No more freaking out about nervous explosions. No more-