XI

Zion was sitting on the balcony of his room sipping on a cup of tea. Since Rylan and Arabella were gone the tower was a lot calmer and he had more time for himself. Not that he especially minded having the two running around and interacting with him, but after nearly twenty years of having constant company being alone was very relaxing. He even had a chance to do a few thing he hadn't been able for years. But at the same time he missed the two. The first few days were the worst for him, although with time it got better, but that doesn't mean it changed anything or made it easier for him to cope with the fact that his son and ward were away.

All of a sudden he noticed a dark spot in the sky that was nearing the tower by the second. Soon it was clear that it was a dark dragon and that it was Rylan. The dragon landed on the top of the roof and climbed its way down to the balcony where it shifted. "Dad, Raby, people, da lista..." he began, clearly panicking.

"Calm down," said Zion walking up to his son and placed his hands on his shoulders. "Sit." It wasn't a request, which he made clear by pushing Rylan down on the chair next to the table by which he was sitting. "What happened?"

Rylan took a few deep breaths. "Arabella was kidnapped. Does name Ciastia ring a bell?"

Zion froze on his spot and that was all Rylan needed to know his father knew the woman in question. Zion looked at Rylan and sighed. "What happened?"

"She strolled in, attacked me as she clearly thought you did a youth spell and I was you, took Arabella away right before she realised I was your son," said Rylan running both of his hands through his hair, pulling and tugging on it with fidgeting his body in nerves. "We need to go save her! I don't know where she lives! You clearly do!"

"Calm down. I'll tell you everything."

"But Arabella..."

"Ciastia likes to play with her pray. And Arabella is smart. She should be fine for a few weeks."

"Weeks?!" Rylan exclaimed and stood up.

Zion used his magic to push Rylan back down. "We'll go in few hours, when you have calmed down enough not to get killed in a few minutes because of your hot nervous head, but for now... sit down."

Rylan crossed arms over his chest. "I'm listening."

Zion sighed and began, "When I was your age, I didn't have a home. I walked the lands without any strings attached. I was a player and had a new woman in my bed almost every week. I had an easy way of disappearing from their lives and easy way of getting them. But once I burnt myself. This girl, who I later realised was a witch, fell in love with me. She grew obsessed with me, wouldn't let me go. By time she grew aggressive and destructive for me, for herself and for others around us. I had no other way out, but to run as far away as I could. After there were no news from her for nearly a year, I continued with my previous lifestyle. But she found me again. She told me that she redeemed herself and is ready to try again. I escorted her home with intention of leaving, but she had other ideas. She showed me a dead body of... a girl, I don't even remember her name, I recognised to have an affair with." Zion's voice was quiet and almost shameful at that point. Maybe he hadn't had feelings for the girls, but her death clearly left a mark on him. "She killed her after she somehow realised I was with her. Apparently she was spying on me. I could not understand why she didn't kill all of the girls I was with, but I later realised that she killed only this one because in her mind the poor girl had tried to bound herself to me by having my child."

Rylan bit his lips as he thought he knew where this was going, but didn't say anything.

"The child... you... Ciastia had you in her home and was expecting me to live with her. She wanted to adopt you as her son as well. But I refused. I didn't want to submit myself to her, especially not like that. I managed to grab you and... disappeared. I killed the tyrant that lived in this tower and hid you from the world. Hid both of us." Zion gave his son a sad smile. He blinked a few times to hide the tears that the truth, he as holding in for so long, was bringing out. "When Arabella's mother showed up, I wanted to turn her down, but... but she saw you and... if I didn't take Arabella, she would have a chance to tell the world about you and... I didn't want that. I didn't want you to get hurt. I didn't want you, but when I finally got you, you instantly became everything I was living for. You still are."

Rylan wiped tears from his eyes quickly. He had no idea what to say.

"That is the reason I was so protective of you. I knew Ciastia had and still has her tentacles and minions spread everywhere. One of them could have seen you and reported to her."

"This is exactly what happened," said Rylan with shaking voice from all of the feelings that were passing through him at the story his father just told him. "King's advisor Zeke was clearly reporting back to her. It clicked when he directly addressed her and she killed him. And when he saw me for the first time he even went so far as to attack me. He most likely thought I was you most likely."

Zion reached over and ruffled Rylan's hair. "You are your father's son."

Rylan chuckled and stood up. "I'll go change."

Zion stood up as well. "I'm coming with you. Not just to bring our girl back, but to put Ciastia on her place as I should've done years ago."

Rylan smiled and wrapped his arms around his father bringing him into a hug, which Zion gladly accepted. After they pulled apart Rylan licked his lips and smirked. "Let's go save my princess."