CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCING ME

When I was younger, someone once told me that wonder is everywhere right before our eyes, though people are blind to it most of the time. And then this same someone pointed to a tree and added: "Look, little boy, this tree is undoubtedly beautiful as a whole, but one can see another kind of beauty when looking closer...never forget the leaves on the tree. That is where one can find wonder." And this someone left.

I always admired this thought, but until now, if the world was a tree, then I would be "a forgettable leaf on a tree"- as Maguire would say. What I mean is that my life has nothing out of the ordinary. I am an ordinary 27-year-old man, I have an ordinary name (yes, my name is John Smith), an ordinary job, an ordinary neighbourhood, an ordinary house with ordinary objects...anything ordinary you can imagine. And today was an ordinary summer day. A very hot day indeed. One of those summer days when you are subject to having weird ambitious thoughts. I decided to stay at home all day, where I live alone. A medium cozy house with four main rooms: a kitchen, a bathroom, my bedroom and the living room. My living room and my bedroom are next to each other and they both look out onto a little garden, in the middle of which had grown a little simple tree.

It was midday. Even though I have a kitchen, I had put the dining table in my living room. So I was sitting at my dining table with a plate of spaghetti in front of me and with a view on the tree of the garden. I'm used to watching this tree without really looking at it while I eat, with the radio on -to feel less lonely. My spaghetti had already cooled down because I wasted quite a time pondering on one of my strange summer thoughts: if I sneezed, would it be powerful enough for the meatball on my spaghetti to roll off the table, on the floor, and then out in the garden? More than that, would it grow into a meatball tree?

...Well, I already warned you that it was a hot day and on top of that it was midday. Besides, my imagination is known to be boundless and unexpected, and in summer it gets to its meridian. Putting my fancies aside, I got up and cleared the table. At that instant, a sudden feeling of boredom mixed with laziness seized me. Then I felt that my television was searching for deep eye contact with me, so I naturally looked back at it... And all throughout the afternoon until the night, I found myself binging on my favorite movies of all kinds of genres: action, Disney, Pixar, musicals, comedies, romantic comedies, science fiction and so on. That night I always expected something marvellous, unexpected or strange to happen, like one always does after watching too many movies. 

Until I heard heavy footsteps outside walking to my door. I knew the thing was human (or at least had hands and feet) when the owner of the footsteps rang the bell. So I really slowly walked to the door to keep things in suspense holding all the expectations possible in my heart, I opened it, and what I saw was...!

...Nothing but the pizza delivery guy. When I greeted him he shouted at me:

"Sorry sir but what in the world took you so much time?? I rang at least for five minutes!"

Embarrassed and a bit amused at the anger of the delivery guy who was pouting, I apologized, paid what must be paid and took the pizza home. Perhaps I got too much ahead of myself by watching too many movies. I thought I could miraculously become the hero of a breathtaking story. However! Pizza will always be greatly welcomed in my house, so it's not as disappointing. And then again, my ordinary life casually regained the upper hand on me. And after finishing half of the pizza, I went to my room sleepily and deeply fell asleep on my bed without knowing it, with the television still on.