Love Surprises

Special Thanks to ShadowGacha298 for bringing hope back to me and dragging me back to Wattpad, for this chapter is especially dedicated to you. Otherwise, special thanks to everyone else for helping this story place #1 on the Reilin category for nearly a month! Thank you! (And just a reminder of what last happened in this story, then remember when I, as the author, shoved Meilin off of a cliff? Yup! Bet you enjoyed that cliffhanger, right? Just kidding, just kidding... I got hit by math homework like a hurricane after that, so I guess that serves me right after you might've also wanted to pelt me with your electronics like that at that cliffhanger. :P )

Rollan hollered, "No!" as Meilin made the perilous fall. She fell out of their reach and disappeared into the darkness. Rollan couldn't watch this anymore. He bowed his head and let his dark strands of hair cover his face. Refusing to believe this, he forced himself to use all his might, and used his fist to strike the dirt beneath him, as he felt his own, moist tears cover his face.

A small rainstorm begun. A few raindrops splattered in his hair, while Rollan tried to swallow the feeling of horror. How could he just let her fall? Why did he suddenly hesitate in his attempt to save her?! Rollan threw his hair wildly and cried out in anguish, as he let the stars spin around him, while he shook his head. It was difficult to drag his muscles into doing what he wanted, as he was still frozen in place. He was practically wrestling himself in place now, before he forced himself into a kneeling position and peeled his eyes open.

He didn't peer behind himself, but he could hear Jhi moan in grief. He could also sense that Essix was still struggling to even keep her own eyes open, while she was shaking and squawking behind him.

Rollan listened to his own shuddering, heavy breathing. He had created a mistake that he could never fix, but if there was one thing that he could do right, he resolved that it would be to find Meilin's body, and bring it back home.

With unanticipation, Rollan suddenly found himself staring at a set of teeth that suddenly appeared and flashed in the dark of the night, before it the owner of them, dashed off. The set of teeth belonged to a hulking figure, which swiftly used its four legs to bound over the edge of the cliff! It reared back, and slowly used its hind legs to drag itself back up, sending dirt particles flying from underneath its feet. And unexpectedly, what returned with him was...

"Meilin!" shouted Rollan exhilaratingly.

At this heartening surprise, Rollan promptly broke out of his paralysis, and dashed towards Meilin's slumped figure. He pulled her back up with Jools, her savior, and together, they propped her up gently against a twisted tree trunk. Jools let go of his nip on Meilin's collar, before he strode aside to let Rollan analyze her condition.

Jhi sprung over too, after she and Essix broke out of their trance too. Jools let go of his grip on Meilin's collar when Jhi nudged him affectionately, before Essix soared into the air.

Rollan observed Essix's strength, as she took off at such speed in the darkness. Afterward, he then settled down, and watched after Meilin. Rollan gazed at Meilin, as he heard her soft breathing again. It was such a relief that she was alive, but what she clearly needed now was someone's care.

Rollan edged towards Meilin and kneeled down gently, before he brushed her bangs aside. The light rainstorm had now strengthened a bit, causing more raindrops to land on Meilin's eyelashes. Rollan gently wiped off the raindrops as they plopped onto Meilin's eyelids. He secretly admired her beauty, while he revived the memory of how close he was to losing her. He would've never heard her breathing again, nor would he ever have a chance to hear her laughter. Rollan wondered how her laughter might sound, as he pursed his parched lips together. This gave him the reminder that they needed to retrieve food and water at some point.