Vampires

Ana had seen enough vampire themed movies in her lifetime to make anyone mad. With all the twilight nonsense about shining vampires she was kinda fed up with all the vampire stuff, but alas, life couldn't have been so simple. Her friend Mihaela, was obsessed with all that vampire rubbish and would not shut up about it for one moment. Everywhere they went, vampires somehow managed to become the topic of their conversation.

Now Ana had decided to take a break from any social interactions and focus on her work and hobbies. She had worked as a criminal investigator just like her grandfather. Her grandfather had told her stories about her parents. She misses her parents from time to time, but she had just few memories about her parents since she was only six when they died. After that she had been living with her grandfather, who was quite young for being a grandfather. They frequently were mistaken as father and daughter.

Ana was listening to music whilst walking to work, like she did every morning. She went this route every morning, saying hello to the few neighbors who went to work at the same time as she did. Her grandfather had taught her to be polite to everyone even when she didn't feel like it. Though this time, while walking to her job, she saw an unknown person in the shadows. It was still quite dark outside since it was 5 a.m. in the winter, so she didn't quite see them. When she went closer to the person, she almost slipped on ice and averted her eyes for a moment. After she regained her balance, she looked back at the person only to see nothing. She felt baffled but shrugged it off and continued walking towards her warm office.

After arriving to her job and a load of paperwork Ana sighed and took off her jacket and went to make some tea. When she passed her co-workers Dustin and Vance, she heard something shocking.

"Did you see the report on the woman who was found dead, drained from all her blood?" Vance asked Dustin as quietly as he could, trying not to catch any unwanted attention. Well he was unsuccessful at this since Ana could hear them loud as day.

"Yeah that sounded creepy, so I looked into the file," Dustin replied, "no wonder that no one wants the case, but someone must take it, or it will be just assigned to someone."

Ana thought for a moment even though she had already decided.

"I could take the case if no one else is interested in it," she informed and hoped she would get the case.

It would be an understatement to say that Vance and Dustin were surprised to say the least but said that they would bring every evidence that they had concerning the case. Now all that was left to do was to inform her boss about what case she was going to take and write her name on the report. She could almost see the news articles. 'The terrible murder solved by local crime investigator Anastasia Helsing'.