Chapter III - My Gift to Jack

Late afternoon the next day, I put the twenty-two chocolate cupcakes inside a box and wrapped it with blue, special paper. In my pocket, a match and twenty-two candles were inside. The sky was dark when I went outside; Thick clouds were rolling swiftly in the sky. It was surely going to rain.

"You sure you're still going there?" Grandpa asked me, his thick, white eyebrows furrowed deep.

"Of course. I couldn't miss his birthday. I'd just bring my umbrella, in case." I replied with a smile.

I reached Jack's farm.

He was training his dog with his ocarina, and that made me really glad. His dog, River, wagged its tail happily and ran to me. I knelt down to stroke its head. Jack followed his dog, and a big, goofy grin stretched on his face. I stood up and gave him a light kiss and a very tight hug while holding my gift.

"So, what's the occasion?"He asked jokingly.

"It's your dog's birthday." I laughed and handed him the present. "Here you go, Autumn Boy."

"Wow! Thanks Gwen!"He wrapped his arms around me and lifted my feet off the ground. 

We were spinning and spinning in circles like kids. Laughing loudly like there was no tomorrow. The time seemed to slow down every turn we made, every giggle and laugh we let out. When he put me down, I pinched his sweaty nose and complained playfully, "Ew. Sweaty and oily."

He began chasing me around the farm and when he caught me, he kissed me for who knows how long. When he broke away, I felt my face turn bright red while he just laughed. It was yet another perfect moment for us.

Then, raindrops started falling from the dark, grey sky.