Chapter V - A Favor to Grandpa

"Gwen, it's pretty late and it's really raining hard outside. Are you sure you're still going home? You can stay here if you want. I can sleep on the floor." Jack suggested.

"I guess it's fine. Grandpa would understand. Can I use the phone?" I asked him.

"Sure, sure." He said and started for the kitchen. "I'll just wash the plate and glasses."

I called up grandpa and he said it's fine, as long as we're not going to do anything naughty. I rolled my eyes and assured him that nothing as dirty as that would happen, since Jack was a gentleman and respectful. I could even hear Joe on the other line, yelling something about double population. I could even hear Kurt as well, snickering with his brother about all those dirty jokes. I told grandpa to remind those two retards that they'll get a piece of me when I come back tomorrow morning. Then I whispered something that Jack should never hear. Grandpa didn't answer right away, because what I asked him was painful. It was a favor that Grandpa hated to do, but somehow, it's a part of maturity.

"All right, I'll pack your things if it does go that way…" Grandpa replied sadly.

"Thanks, Grandpa." And I hung up.

I entered the kitchen and made hot chocolate for the both of us. We lazily walked in front of the television and nothing was good to watch. Eventually, I got sleepy.

"Hey, you can go to sleep now." Jack gestured to the big bed. "I'll just get some blanket for me to sleep afterwards."

I nodded and plopped myself on his big, homely bed, but I wasn't going to close my eyes yet. My mind was full of his words earlier, and it just keeps echoing. Jack might have noticed that I wasn't dozing off to sleep, so he positioned himself beside me.

"What are you thinking of?" He asked me as his brown eyes stared into mine, looking for some answers to his question.

Should I become honest tonight?

"I was… was…" I stuttered, and then sighed. There was no point in lying. "I was thinking about… you."

"Me? Why?" he questioned as he moved closer to me and his hand began tracing the edges of my face.

I removed his cap and my hand ran through his messy, brown hair. I twirled my finger with the long strands that stuck out in front of his still confused face and sighed heavily. I faced away, but his arms wrapped around me again.

The roaring thunder continued to rage outside. I could see sparks of lightning outside. I can't leave this place with this kind of weather; I can't escape to simply say.

"Tell me, please." He pleaded.