Chapter four

I headed towards Floras room first, not altogether prepared to see the young master after the library incident. I knocked, a soft, "Come inside!" came quickly after. I walked in and gave her a tender smile, placing her clean washing inside her wardrobe and undressing her, quickly putting her pyjamas on and putting the dirty clothes into the laundry basket.

"May I ask you a couple questions young mistress? Only to get to know you better," I asked tenderly as i platted her hair. She giggled and nodded her head.
"How old are you exactly?"
"7!" She said proudly, i was certainly dressing myself at that age. Although it was very different for the rich, I was aware of that. I dreaded the idea that Miles was entitled enough to make me help undress him.
"I'm 17, how old is your brother?"
She giggled and shrugged, "Ask him."
"Do you think he hates me?"
She laughed loudly at that, throwing her head back.
It was almost unsettling.
"No, maybe something close,"
"Like what?" I pried. Maybe I was being too persistent.
"Miles doesn't have a lot of feelings,"
"Which ones does he have?"

She turned around and giggled again
"Like i'd tell."

I tucked Flora into bed and carried her laundry basket onto the landing, heading towards the young masters bedroom and knocking softly.
"Come inside." His voice sounding more gentle than it had before. I opened the door and walked inside, not meeting his gaze and setting his clean washing into his wardrobe. I stood and lifted his laundry basket and his hand was suddenly wrapped around my wrist, cold, almost shockingly so.

"Look at me." He spoke, a command. My head turned up to meet his eyes despite i wasn't altogether too sure that was what i wanted to do.
"What's your name?" He asked, voice rough.
"Eden." My body began to act without my consciousness, gazing up at him with wide eyes as I spoke without thinking.
"Ah, means pleasure, delight, i'm not too sure if such a beautiful name suits you." His hand tightened on my wrist and i winced, unable to withdraw it.
"You're so cold," such a stupid thing to say.
His face was stern, he showed no emotion yet he looked so graceful. My wrist burned, he was holding so tightly and for what reason other than to make me squirm.

"Leave. Now." He snapped, his hand pulling away so quickly i almost didn't see. His face fell into his hand as he turned around as to not face me.
"But young master," i need your laundry idiot.
"Leave!" He shouted, louder than he had in the library. I left the room and closed the door, scurrying down the stairs with only Floras dirty laundry. I took it down to the laundry room and left it for me to wash in the morning.

Kate was in the kitchen, a book in hand. I gave her a demure smile, hoping she hadn't heard the young master shout at me. Of course she hadn't, his room was so far from the kitchen. "Good evening Eden, how are you finding the job so far?" She asked in a sweet tone. I smiled at the ground, "It's great."
That was a lie through my teeth. I was hating every second of it. Max was the only good part, and i have even started to doubt her.

Kate smiled at me and nodded, leaving the kitchen to the drawing room. I walked to my bedroom, my grandmother already sleeping in her bed when i opened the door. I changed into a nightgown, sleeping quickly as my body was exhausted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God knows what time it must have been when i was woken by such an intense urge to leave my room, so i did, i walked out into the kitchen in nothing but a thin white night gown. I wanted to go to the gardens for whatever reason, i walked out towards the back and opened the doors, walking out into the darkness ever so slightly illuminated by moonlight.
I walked down the grass for a while, then skipped over stones which poked from the pond. I ended up at a large tree, laying underneath it and watching the sky.

The gentle breeze kissed my neck, flowed my nightgown upwards. "At least cover yourself."
I jumped up, clutching my nightgown to my body.
Miles stood, a matching set on expensive looking pyjamas on. "Is this a dream?" I asked aloud, my head hurting.
"It very well could be."
He took another couple steps towards me, sitting beside me. My breath got caught in my through as his face came closer to mine, his breath hitting my face.

Then, his fingers curled in my hair, pulling aggressively and throwing my head backwards. I yelped in pain- something trailed up my neck, only a moment later I realised it was his tongue.
"Disgusting girl, I hope you understand that i have a deep dislike for you, and i don't want you to speak to me again, understand?"
I was confused, gravely confused.
But I nodded, a tear escaping my eye.
After that he left, walking back into the house.

I sat there for a moment, crying to myself.
I fell back asleep on the cold embrace of the earthy grass, tears staining my cheeks.