Chapter 2

When Kit was finished with dinner, she ran back to her room. She was so incredibly excited about the mysterious book that she had found that dinner took way too long. Kit kept on wiggling on her chair until her father said that she could go. She ran back up to her room and Kit felt underneath her pillow, yes, the little book was still there. Teddy sat on the bed, staring glassily at the place.

Kit thought about the book underneath her pillow. She saw reading books as small adventures because her fantasy took her all kinds of places. However, fantasising inside your head is hard to do with someone else.

"Teddy," Kit began, "you know how much I love adventure, right?"
"Yes," answered Teddy.
"Would you mind if I did not take you with me on my next adventure?" Kit wanted Teddy to come along, but he probably would not enjoy it, he was not very fond of reading.

"Depends, what type of adventure?"
"Well, it is quite a bookish one," said Kit. Teddy had to think about the answer he had gotten. Though he did not like to read, he was always up for a good adventure.

"No, I do not mind, but if it was fun, you have to take me next time!" Teddy was quite proud of himself for coming up with such a great idea. Now he did not have to go, because it could be boring, but if it was exciting: he could come with on the next adventure. In conclusion, perfect.

"Of course, Teddy, I will always bring you," said Kit.

Kit wanted to start reading in her new exciting book, but she noticed the time, it was already dark outside. That meant that she needed to get ready for bed. She was still wearing her school uniform and cape, so she changed into her favourite pyjama's and brushed her teeth. Kit's father came to her room to check up on her and to read her a story. However, Kit did not want to read a story, she wanted to read the special book.

"No, dad, I am way too sleepy," said Kit yawning.
"Oh, no bedtime story? You must be really tired, are you coming down with a cold? Get a good night of sleep, and hopefully, you will feel better tomorrow," said her father as he left the room.

Kit felt a bit bad about lying to him, but she really wanted to read the novel! She had been waiting for this the entire afternoon, and now she could finally take a look. Kit got the book from underneath her pillow and put it on her lap. She turned on the reading lamp next to her bed and started looking at the cover.

It was a leather book, the inside was full of handwritten notes and pictures. The book was old, that was clearly visible through the paper. It was coloured yellow, and the ink had faded a little. This was not the oddest thing about the book. The pictures were. The images that were taped to the pages showed creatures that Kit had never seen before. It looked like a feathered mouse, it had something of a bunny as well. However, Kit was not scared of it, it seemed so peaceful and extremely fluffy. She wanted to pet it. Kit looked at the photo until she had seen every detail.

She flipped through the book, Kit made sure she saw every page and even tried to read the letters. Her eyes became heavier and heavier with every page she read. Until her eyes finally were fully shut. The book still laying on top of Kit, she had fallen asleep.

When Kit opened her eyes again, she was not laying in her bed, she was not sitting on the ground in her bedroom, she might not even have been in her own town. All around her, there were tall green trees, and she seemed to sit on a stone path. Kit immediately stood up and looked at herself.

"Is this a dream?" she said out loud. That was when she looked down at her clothes, she was wearing her uniform. The cape that she made out of a towel was waving around her neck again. It seemed to be a dream, but it felt so much more real than that.

Then she looked beside her, there was Teddy, dusting himself off.

"Teddy! You came!" said Kit excited.
"Well, I did not mean to, where are we?" said Teddy, he did not seem to be pleased by missing out on his beauty sleep.