Chapter 1

(Edited 4/15/2022)

Gabby's POV

" Okay focus " I tell myself as I'm dribbling the ball down to our side of the court.

I cannot missed this shot.

I look in the stands and I see my dad and sister cheering me on as usual and my dad gives me a thumbs up.

But my mother again is a no show, which doesn't surprise me at all.

" Gabby focus " my coach yells and I turn my head and focus.

We're only one point away from winning the championship, no pressure right.

I'm standing in between both teams as I make my way to the court and I look at Star who gives me a reassuring look and I close my eyes and shoot.

I look and I made it.

Wow, we're officially state champions.

Star runs to me as do all the other players do and we all cheer and they lift me up in the air, chanting my name.

Wow this is the best feeling in the whole world.

I look over and see my dad and my sister jumping up and down and cheering. We managed to settle down with our trophy and head to the locker room.

" I'm so proud of every last one of you " my coach says with a big smile on her face.

" This is probably the best way to end the season, as champions, right " she says and we all cheer.

" Alright, ladies hit the showers and enjoy your weekend, you all deserve it " she says with another big smile on her face.

Damn, it feels good to hear her say that.

After we shower, me and Star head out and we meet both of our parents outside and Serena runs over to us.

" I'm so happy you guys won " she says with the biggest smile on her face.

" Thanks baby sis " I say hugging her back.

" Real proud of both of you " my dad says while hugging us both.

" Good job on that final shot " Star's dad says while giving me a high five.

"Thanks, Mr. Jackson " I say.

" You guys did so good, we should celebrate " Mrs. Jackson says.

" Ooh, can we dad " I ask while looking at my dad.

" Of course, you both deserve it " he says smiling.

" Well come on, lets go " I running towards the car.

After celebrating with pizza and an arcade, we head home and I see both my mother and grandmother's cars, oh god.

" What is grandma doing here " Serena asks.

" I have not one clue " my dad says, looking just as confused as we are.

" Well, whenever she's here, it's never good " I say leaning my head back against the seat.

" Let's just get this over with " I say and hop out the car.

I walk and see them both sitting on the couch talking and then their attention turns to us.

" How was your game, honey " my mom asks.

" Well we won " I say.

" That's great " she says.

" Why couldn't you come this time " my dad asks.

" Oh I had a client meeting I couldn't get out of. I'll come to the next one " she says.

Wow is all I can think of in my head.

" It was the championship game and the last game of the season " I say with an emotionless face.

" Well that's great, maybe you can finally do something with yourself " my grandmother says.

And here we go.

" Grandma, please don't start " I say while turning around to head up stairs but her voice stops me.

" No, come back here, Gabby. You really need to change this whole persona you have going on and make yourself look more decent " she says while looking me up and down.

" I agree. You walk around here in basketball shorts and a t-shirt like a little boy " my mom says.

" Mom, it's her style " Serena says with her arms crossed as she stands closer to me.

" And it's nothing wrong with it " my dad says while look at my mother.

" I'm just saying it's nothing wrong with her having her makeup done and for her to dress more like a lady every now and then " my grandma says.

Okay time for me to leave.

" I'm going to bed " I say turning on my heels.

I hear my mother about to raise her voice but my dad stops her.

" You need leave her alone " I hear him say in a stern voice.

And with that I make my way upstairs.

I make it to my room, throw my bag in the corner, and lay on back on my bed. Same old shit, every time my grandma comes to visit, I need to be more girly, I need my hair done, or worse I need to wear a skirt or dress, it's annoying as hell.

" Gabby, you okay " Serena asks poking her head through the door.

" Yeah I'm fine " I say while sighing.

" It'll be okay, you already know how they are " she sitting on my bed.

" But it's annoying " I say falling backwards on the bed.

" I know but don't let it get to you " she says.

" Easier said than done " I say while getting up to look out the window.

Oh wow it's a real starry night.

" You know Serena, times like this I wish Neverland was real " I say still staring out the window.

" I could be free and be who I am, without mom's judgement " I continue.

" How about tomorrow, we all go out and do something to get your mind off this mess " she says while standing up.

" I guess, that'll be okay " I say shrugging.

" Good, we'll good night, I love you " she says closing my door.

" Love you too " I say quietly.

I look up at the sky and see one star shining really bright, maybe lucky stars are real and I smile and turn away.

Please let tomorrow bring something good.

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram for updates same name as Wattpad

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter

Please vote, comment, and follow

* Gabby above * ❤️

Much love 💕