Chapter Two

A silence swept across the room. The only thing that could be heard was the soft breathing of the three women in the room. Standing in front of the two strongest witches in the world, Sabrina felt herself get a little nervous. She’d explained everything to them, told them everything that Jonathan had told her. And instead of responding, they were staring at her with what she couldn’t believe was fear in their eyes.

“Sabrina, you’re sure that Jonathan wasn’t dreaming?” Alain was the first to speak, and Sabrina was glad for the break in the tension.

With a brow raised the girl responded, “Well he wasn’t dreaming up the giant gash in his side.” A glare worthy of Ares himself made Sabrina immediately regret the remark. Though she didn’t let her uneasiness show, not to Alain. 

“I listened to his voice the entire time, he showed no signs of lying to me. Besides, why would he?”

“He could be trying to get someone in trouble.”

“Or he could have been attacked.”

“If he truly was attacked he should have come to us.”

“He was nearly dead!”

“Then it should have been your responsibility to get us when he came in! You of all people should know be—“

“Ladies!” Willow’s voice broke the witches’ fight. She eyed them both, obviously annoyed with their bickering. “We don’t have time for this. Alain, Jonathan wouldn’t lie about this.” With an edge to her voice she added, “And neither would Sabrina.” That got her a nod from Sabrina, who stood with her eyes shining with barely concealed anger.

The Nevian Elder sighed and walked to the door, “Now will the two of you come on, we need to go speak to this boy ourselves.”

The three ladies walked in silence to the infirmary, but once they got there they found the place in chaos.

Ignoring the Elders, Sabrina ran forward to grab Silas Byrd, a very respected and powerful familiar. “Silas, what’s going on?”

The familiar shook his head sadly. “We lost a patient today. His name was Jonathan Eres, I believe you saw him.” Stepping back in shock, Sabrina shook her head. “No, that’s impossible. I—“

“He was murdered.” A voice from behind Silas spoke up, hollowly announcing the news. Sabrina’s eyes widened as she saw Addison, with blood covering the simple tan dress she wore. Alain stepped forward, “What do you mean, girl?”

“He was murdered, Elder.”

“You’ve said that already, now explain!”

“After Sabrina left, we gave him a potion to help him rest and he fell asleep. And we left him alone, but—“

“But someone came in and stabbed him to death. Four times to the chest, plus seven to the stomach.” The cold, smooth way that Silas said the words sent a tremor down Sabrina’s spine. She had no clue what to say. She’d just talked to the man not even an hour ago, and now he lay dead. It churned her stomach, and she had to place a hand over the area to steady herself

“Did anyone see someone go into the room? Or come out of it?” Willow finally spoke up, coming to stand beside Sabrina.

Silas shook his head slowly. “It was when four others came in, we were all distracted.” The Elders shared a look.

“These others, how were they hurt?”

“They were all stabbed, similarly to Jonathan.”

Sabrina took in a quick breath, hardly believing the things that she was hearing. Nothing like this had ever been heard of, at least not by her ears. She looked to Addison with wide eyes, silently begging for answers that the familiar could not give. Sabrina could see that her friend was terribly shaken, and even Silas looked unnaturally ruffled.