Chapter 21 - Companionship (I)

“Ji Ran, do you still remember a movie titled ‘Troubled Time’?”

Hearing that familiar voice from behind, Xi Wei turned back and was met with a pair of clear, bright blue eyes. Of course, he knew it belonged to his childhood friend Klaire, but what he said made Xi Wei do a double take.

“Or should I continue to call you Xi Wei now?” Klaire smiled, took a step closer, and stopped in front of Xi Wei.

They looked at each other for a long time until Xi Wei finally managed to recover from his shock. He asked stiffly, “What did you say?”

Instead of answering, Klaire asked him another question, “You have Ji Ran’s memory, don’t you? Then, Yu Qianhe, do you still remember this name?”

Xi Wei, “…”

Xi Wei’s eyes opened wider, which made Klaire sure that he must remember.

Sure enough, Xi Wei looked shocked and alarmed. He frowned and asked, “Who are you? How do you know all of this? Do you know Yu Qianhe?”

At that moment, Klaire was so happy he wanted to kneel down and worship God right there and then. He finally found his beloved man in this strange world, and his Ji Ran also remembered him! Although the two of them died together in a car accident, their story did not end. The fate entwined between them had yet to reach its end.

“I am Yu Qianhe, your manager,” Klaire simply said.

“Ah?” Xi Wei’s face turned to that of disbelief.

Klaire smiled and softly said, “Do you remember? When we first met, you held my hand and said, ‘We are of the same age, so I’ll just call you Qianhe.’ After I became your manager, your first job was to help a first-rate star to do martial arts scenes. That summer, we went to the south to film a movie. I couldn’t adapt to the southern climate and ended up being bitten by mosquitoes. You told me then that you grew up in the south, so you were not afraid of mosquito bites, and advised me to use mosquito repellent lotion everytime I went out. You even personally helped me to put some…”

The man with the sunny smile complained about “the fierce mosquitoes in the south” as he carefully coated Yu Qianhe’s arm with the lotion. The cool feeling coming off his fingertips seemed to make that summer somehow feel warmer and more beautiful.

Their living conditions during that filming were very poor. The two of them often had to follow the crew to live and eat in the wild. Their shabby dormitory was equipped with only one mat, and they had to sleep with a mere electric fan blowing above them. Every night, as he looked at the peaceful look on Ji Ran’s sleeping expression, Yu Qianhe often found himself thinking, if he could accompany him like this for the rest of their life, how nice would it be?

He accompanied him through the hot forest of the south, to the cold snow in the north, traveled across the beautiful town of Jiangnan, and also went with him to cross magnificent desert and grassland in the northwest. Ji Ran took roles in a lot of different themed movies, and Qianhe always followed him dutifully for years. Going to some of those outdoor filming locations might be unpleasant, but that time was the happiest Yu Qianhe had ever been in his life.

Even if they could only eat simple lunch-boxes, it still tasted better than the delicacies prepared for him at home.

Because he had fallen in love with that man.