Chapter 5

Aurora's pov

I woke to the sound of whimpering and briefly forgot where I was. Looking around at what little I could see, I remembered and wished for the hundredth time I was somewhere else. I had been captured by the patch-heads. Most of the time the cage I'm in is in a metal beast that roars as it moves. This place has no snow and it's so filthy it's impossible to keep my once fluffy white coat clean. There have been other animals, but they were given to other patch-heads for strange green paper, so I've been all alone. Until now.

My eyes land on the cage next to mine and I see a small wolf pup. It's not white, like the ones I'm used to seeing, but it still smells like a wolf. They must have just caught him. He's huddled against one corner, crying, and judging by his milky breath, he still needs his mother. I have to calm him down somehow.

"Hello?" I try calling to him. He stops crying and looks at me.

"Wh-who are y-you?" He says in a tiny, nervous voice.

"I'm Aurora," I say, trying not to scare him any more than he already is, "What's your name, little one?"

"I'm Hunter," he says, still trembling.

Looking around, Hunter asks, "Where am I?"

The patch-heads move around a lot so I have no idea other than way too far from home.

"I don't know," I say, honestly.

"I want to go home," Hunter says, then starts crying again.

"Don't cry, somebody will save us," I say, trying to calm him again. I know nobody will and I don't know what will happen to us, but it breaks my heart hearing this tiny pup cry.

"Really?" Hunter asks, eyes wide with hope.

"Absolutely," I lie.

After that, Hunter calms down again. By this time, he's over by me and we lay against the bars, trying to share as much warmth as we can and Hunter eventually falls asleep. I stare out a hole in the roof, where I can see a tiny patch of sky with three tiny stars. They remind me of a dream I had the night before I was captured.

"I wish someone would come and save us," I whispered quietly to myself. I fell asleep soon after.

The next day, our cages are put outside. Hunter isn't right next to me and we can barely see each other, but we can still talk. To one side of us, there's a road with a lot of roaring metal beasts racing along it in both directions. To the other side of us, there's a lot of green. We're on a flat patch of grass between both. On the green side, there's a lot of tall brown plants with green at the top that I've never seen before. Hunter calls them trees.

We're playing I-spy to pass the time and since there's nothing on the road that stays still, we're only spying things by the trees.

"I spy something red," Hunter says. A bright red bird flies overhead.

"Bird?" I guess.

"Yep," Hunter replies. I look around for something to spy.

"I spy something brown," I say.

"Tree trunk?" Hunter guesses.

"Yes," I confirm. We play for a long time and when it's my turn again, only the grass hasn't been spied.

"I spy something green," I said.

I was expecting Hunter to say 'grass', but instead he said, "Eyes?"

"Eyes?" I ask, confused. Neither of us had green eyes, we both had blue.

I look into the trees and, sure enough, there was a pair of eyes reflecting green from the sun from the branches of a tree. I wanted to know what kind of animal it was, but as soon as I saw them, the eyes disappeared. I wonder what it was?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Decided to change Blaze's eye color because red foxes do NOT look good with green eyes 🤦. Sorry for the inconvenience.