Hoenn Legendary, Part 2

-Mairin-

Mairin frowned. She lifted her hand from the pillar, then tapped it. Punched it. Knocked on it. Eventually, Lysandre started to take notice too. "What's going on, Mairin?" he asked, his voice monotone.

Nothing had happened when she touched the pillar.

Of course, everything was still in the unknown, but it was unresponsive. At all. There was no flash of light, or the waves of energy rushing through her as if she were Mega Evolving (Gar), and certainly no rainbow staircases or heavenly rays of light shining down on them.

The problem hit her in the face. Quite literally. Gar had flung the Mega Ring, aiming for the back of her head, turning her cap sideways. Mairin staggered for a moment, then saw her Mega Ring glittering, its obsidian black still sleek and clear, and the Key Stone safely nestled inside of it. She picked it up, tentatively, and straightened out her hat. "I told you to give it back, didn't I?"

Gar shook its head, and Mairin tried to recall back to ever ordering Gar to give the Mega Ring back to her. It had slipped off her wrist when she fell, and she never received it back. When she failed to do so, she sighed and slipped it on before slamming her hand quite hard against the stone pillar. Steven raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

This time, both of the Key Stones reacted in a magnificent display of light, energy shooting every which way and rays of light radiating from the crystalline stones. Before they knew it, a rainbow staircase was stacking itself, building up to a higher clifftop. A ray of heavenly light shone down upon the four of them, and with another flash of light the staircase was completed.

Mairin raised her hand, then patted it to her chest. "Called it." She was hoping none of them would argue with her on when she did call it, but all she received was a frown from Alain. Looking up to where they were headed, there was no way that it would have been accessible, even with the most able-bodied of the flying-types. Well, maybe a copter. Everything was always possible with a copter.

Mairin took her time ascending the steps. She most certainly didn't want to fall, even with some reassurance that Gar might be able to catch her. There were no railings on this staircase (it's made of light; what do you expect?) which along with scaring Mairin, also diminished her appetite for the day. Gar stayed close to her, much to her relief.

Once they reached the top, they found all sorts of crumbled stone buildings, with one giant cylindrical demolished building in the middle. Naturally, it was in the heart of the city of stones, and everyone thought it best for the search for the Giant Rock to begin there.

They struck the jackpot. In the middle of the cylindrical building were two daises. Also made of the same type of stone as the surrounding building, which was built as if there was a cylinder leading up to a dome at the top, the daises sat on either side of a round, five foot deep circle in the middle. The circle in the middle had smaller circles inscribed in it, adding depth to it. Steven knelt down next to the one on the left, looking at a few symbols and characters, which everyone recognized as the traditional Hoennian (A/N: I think that was it; if not, is it Hoennese? What's the adjective form of Hoenn?) language. After reading it a few times, he nodded to Mairin, her having leaned over his shoulder to read the same inscription. She had learned Hoennian in her free time, seeing as how it bore a similar resemblance to Kantonian, Johtonian, and Sinnohan. It was like the central language to them.

She walked over to the other dais, seeing almost the same thing. Both of them didn't want to say it out loud, seeing that Lysandre and the 'impressionable youth' (read: Alain) was present. "Steven, I think this requires our Key Stones again."

Mairin was smarter this time, and was able to pop her Key Stone out of her Mega Ring, making its familiar warmth and hum die down into a cold, black piece of metal. She touched it to the circular sculpture on top of the dais, as did Steven. Immediately, their Key Stones began to flash, and the same thing happened again as it did when both of their Key Stones reacted to the pillars, minus the rainbow staircase. The bottom of the circular inscription opened up, and a pink object began to rise. At first, it looked like glass, but it took more of the form of a rose crystal quartz. The stone was gigantic -- no wonder that everyone called it the 'Giant Rock'. The sheer size of it was enough to make Mairin and Gar gawk.