CHAPTER FIVE

“Remind me again,” I said as I gently banged my head on Rhea’s shoulder repeatedly, her back to me. “What am I doing outside, slowly barbecuing myself under the sun when I can be inside my house, reading a book and enjoying the comforts of having an air-conditioned room? i just don’t get it.”

Rhea didn’t even bother to look at me. She kept her eyes on her phone, scrolling away. I was starting to regret introducing her to 9gag. “You promised to come.”

“Oh. Did I promise to slowly die from heat-stroke too?”

“They’ll be here any minute, keep your calm, woman.”

“Uhh,” I complained. We were sitting outside a seven-eleven shop, sipping on slurpees, waiting for the others to arrive. Slurpees—my best friend today. The sun was giving such a murderous glare, I felt like I could just melt into a puddle. Of course I complain. I complain a lot of times on a lot of things but that doesn’t mean I back up.

“Look,” Rhea finally turned to me. She was wearing a crop top and slutty shorts, some sort of rebellion since her and Dean (finally) broke up. She was wearing make-up, too, which made me look like her personal assistant, sitting beside her with my hair on a loose bun and over-sized t-shirt and denim shorts. “A few hours and you’ll be on one of the country’s finest beach resorts, staying there for free and with free food and hot guys. Chill the fuck out, you should be kissing the ground under my foot out of gratitude! But since you’re my best friend, I won’t require you to do so.”

Let me explain. Rhea has this obsession over summer-vacations. She makes sure she gets out of town at least every month just to get away from everything and apparently, she decided I should go with her. Her family is rich, period. I remember her telling me they own this huge vacation house near the beach… and they own the resort next to it. Rhea decided I needed a break from this extremely peaceful town and get sociable, although I suspect this is just one of her boy-hunting expeditions. She phoned me in the middle of the night—a bit too over-joyed considering she just went through a break-up—and declared we were going out on a vacation. She’s nice this way. Plus, Michael Jones is still hunting me down. It’s only been a week since the tragic incident in the corridor. So maybe this town wasn’t that peaceful for me, Krisha Winters.

“I’m in this for the food.” I mumbled. And for the possibility of a longer life. Michael Jones is still hunting me down in the most inconvenient way, have I mentioned.

“Krish, this may be a chance for you to actually get a boyfriend. Not just a fling-guy.” She emphasized the word fling as a reminder of a certain being that we may refer to as Jason, her voice only slightly bitter.

“Gee, thanks, but no thanks.”

“What is it with you and dating guys?”

“They never seem to like me. Don’t worry, the feeling’s mutual.”

“That is so not—“

“And besides,” I raised my voice, anxious to change the subject. I don’t like talking about my love life. It makes me uncomfortable. “Why did you have to invite Jordan? You’re not even friends! I don’t think you even knew he existed until last week!”

“Uhm, duh? He’s one of the jocks, of course I know him!” Rhea defended. “At least I know of him. Plus, I think he likes you.” Her eyes twinkled dangerously.

“Not true.” I sat back, crossing my arms.

“Why else would he say yes when all of his friend are here!”

I shrugged. “Like you said, we’re going to one of the finest beach resorts. Maybe he likes fine beach resorts. Maybe he just misses Austin. They used to be on the same team, right? Maybe he likes you and not me.” I’m definitely winning.

“He’s way too overrated for me.”

“So you think overrated guys are hot and they suit me?”

Rhea’s phone lit up. “Mark can’t make it. He’s sick.”

“Don’t change the subject!”

She smiled. “I wasn’t. Oh, look, it’s our overrated friend.” Rhea waved cheerfully behind me. I tried for a smile and turned around just in time to see Jordan getting off one of his friends’ pick-up truck. They exchanged a few words. Jason motioned over at our direction and his friend shook his head with a devilish grin before driving off. He slung an over-sized bag over one shoulder and smiled.

“Oh, my god, was that Will Grander?” Rhea gasped. But I didn’t get to answer.

“Hey,” Jordan said, still smiling.

 “Hey,” we replied in unison.

“So…” he said suddenly awkward, realizing he was the only guy. I fought down a giggle. “Where are the others?”

“Good thinking!” Rhea said, Will whatever-his-last-name-was already forgotten. “Let me check.” She stood up and began dialing down on her phone, leaving me with Jordan. I shot her a withering look and she smiled ever so sweetly.

Jordan sat down beside me.  “Surprise, surprise?” I said, trying for another smile. “No one told me you were coming. Did Rhea threaten you or something?”

He smiled again. It was so easy making him smile. “Nah, just thought I needed a break from all the dudes around me. Besides, I need a girlfriend.” He looked at me and I pretended to look at my phone’s screen, feeling my face burn. Why is it so freaking hot?

“Huh. Well, then you an d Rhea should get along just fine.” I scanned everywhere except him and fanned my face with my hand. “Why is everyone counting on getting laid on this trip?”

“You make it sound like it’s a horrible thing.” He grabbed my phone.

“Hey!” I protested.

Within seconds, we were wrestling for my phone (again), giggling and settling on awkward eye contacts while Jordan played random songs from my play list. Each song, he had some nasty comment or sometimes he’s just flat out giggle. He had a funny giggle—it sounds like a dolphin.

“Sorry to interrupt the lovey-dovey scene,” Rhea said, making us both jump. “They’re here.” I would’ve done anything to wipe off that stupid contempt smile off my beloved best friend’s face.