Chapter 1: The Meeting

My name is Grace Shifflett and I am 23-years-old. I have led a pretty sheltered life. I have never had a really serious boyfriend. I am not exactly a virgin but I have only been with one boy. It ended three years ago and I just do not want to date anyone, ever.

I have had guys ask me out. I guess I am not exactly ugly but I am just not really that interested. I have gone on several first dates, a few second dates and a handful of third dates. They were interested, but I wasn't. 

Charlie had done a real number on me. I thought he was the one. I guess I was more serious about him than he was about me because I caught him cheating. I had thought that he was special and that I was special to him, but I was wrong. He kind of ruined my ideas of real love. 

Sandra Robinson is my roommate and my best friend. We have been friends since high school. We met in class the first day of high school and we have been besties since. I have her and her lawyer boyfriend, Mitchell Rilling, to keep me company. They have tried setting me up with guys before but I only go to make them happy. I don't really intend to ever see these guys again. I can always come up with an excuse to why I don't want to see them again, or why they aren't right for me. 

"We are still going out tonight, right?" Sandra asked as she looked at me with that look she gets when she is trying to get me to do something she knows I don't want to do.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I just did not want to be set up again with a man that I knew I was not going to see again. He would call me and I would have to make excuses to never see him again. I would be busy. I would be working. I think I may even have to wash my hair. He would lose interest eventually, they all do. I just do not like having to deal with it until they do.

"Do we have to?"

"This guy is from Mitchell's work. He is partners with him at the law offices. He said that he thinks that he is perfect for you," she says as she smiles at me. 

"Ugh. Sandra, I love you and Mitchell. I am just not interested in finding a man. I really don't want or need one. I am happy just like I am." I see the look of disappointment in her eyes. 

"Please. We already have reservations for dinner and he has already agreed to come."

I see the look on her face and there is just no way I can say no. 

"We can't cancel now. They will be here in less than two hours." Her eyes pleading with me to agree. 

I know that it would be rude to cancel now but I really do not want to go. I guess I can suck it up and do it this one last time. "Okay, I will go. But do not expect me to like him. I am sure he is very nice and all but..."

"Grace. You have to forget Charlie. He was an idiot. Not all men are like him." She smiles at me. I am sure she is thinking of Mitchell.

"If I had met a man like Mitchell first I guess I would be different too. I would believe in true love and the whole marriage thing, but I didn't and I don't." I look down as I remember how much it hurt to have that dream crushed by Charlie. 

"Maybe this guy will change your mind."

"I will go but don't expect love, marriage or babies from it.. or even a second date." I see her eyes get big as she smiles, hearing that I agreed to go. I think the rest of what I said just fell somewhere in the room and never made it to her ears.

"Okay, just dinner and dancing," she says as she jumps up and down.

"Dancing? When did I agree to that?" 

"For sure dancing, " she says as she shakes her ass. I am pretty sure that she will be dancing around the apartment for the next two hours, waiting for the guys.