Chapter 9: Will You Be Mine?

"Ya think?" I ask looking at him like he has just lost his ever-loving mind. 

"Nope, I know." He answers with a look of arrogance that almost makes me believe him.

"Arrogant much?" I retort.

"I prefer to think of it as confident," he replies with a smirk. "And truthful."

"What are you guys doing next weekend?" Mitchell asks, interrupting our private conversation.

"Not sure," I answer softly. 

"I have plans on Friday night," Grant answers. I can't help but look at him and wonder what his plans are this weekend. "I am free on Saturday, what do you have in mind?"

"We were thinking of going to the movies. Maybe even some dinner first and we wanted to see if you both wanted to go with us?" Sandra asks as she smiles at me.

"I think I will sit this one out," I answer. I am not sure why but the thought of him having plans on Friday night is getting to me. I can't actually be jealous. I don't want him, right?

Grant looks a little confused, maybe even a little hurt. "Why?" He looks at me, edging a little closer, "We can go as friends. I promise not to touch you or try to kiss you."

I glance down at his arm that is still draped across my shoulders. "Really?"

He smiles, "Okay, starting now." He removes his arm from around me and even slides out closer to the edge of the table so that our thighs are no longer touching. I instantly miss his warmth. No, I should not be feeling this way. I should not miss his touch. 

"I still think I will just skip this one," I say. I am a little hurt by his obvious plans this weekend and that makes me upset. I don't want to feel this way about him. I have to stop this. 

"I guess that is a no for us then," Grant answers as he looks away from me. 

"The offer still stands," Mitchell offers. "If you guys change your mind..."

Grant is making an obvious effort to not touch me in any way. I miss his touch and I am just getting angrier at myself for letting him get to me like this. 

Mitchell takes Sandra to the dance floor. I can't help but watch them dancing. They are so much in love. Anyone that looks at them can see what they feel for each other. 

Grant looks at me with hurt in his eyes. "Would you like for me to take you home?"

"You want to leave?"

"I am not going to lie to you." He looks down at the distance between our bodies. "Sitting here this close to you is making it really hard for me to not touch you."

"I never said you were not allowed to touch me, ever."

"What do you want, Grace?"

"I don't know." That is the truth. I really don't know. Before I met him, I knew. I had no doubts at all what it was that I wanted, or more so, what I did not want. "Can I be honest with you?"

"Please."

"I like talking to you." I smile at him. "I enjoy teasing you. You give the most amazing kisses ever." 

He smiles at me, "But?"

"I have been just fine without a man in my life. I did not want one. I don't need one."

"And now?"

"I still don't need one," I answer truthfully.

"And?" he looks at me, hopeful.