Chapter 7

A/N - I was fortunate enough to actually visit Shanghai with my husband for a few days in 2018. Some of this chapter is based on those experiences.

Adrien poked his fork into another piece of dragon fruit as he read through the reviews from the gala on his tablet. He had already seen the message in his email from his father congratulating them both and asking if Juleka would be interested in a modeling contract with them. He also noticed that the celebrity insider Lenka had run a story speculating on the budding relationship of Luka and Kagami. Adrien couldn't help but smile at the enamoured look on his fencing partners face in the candid shots that accompanied the article.

Plagg looked around at the food on the plate and shook his head. "You better find me some more camembert today or I'm going to starve." The cat kwami pouted.

"Not my fault you went through it all, you know we couldn't bring as much through customs." Looking up from his tablet, Adrien laughed at the scowl Plagg was trying to give him. "I'll see what I can do, here have a croissant." Plagg sniffed it hesitantly before turning away.

"I'll wait until I can have one of Marinette's." Adrien nodded in agreement. Nothing ever tasted as good as Marinette's baking. "You know we leave tomorrow morning right? Times ticking kid." Adrien looked over towards the bathroom door behind which Marinette was having a morning shower.

"I know, I'm working on it. I've had a lot on my mind."

"Yeah, you seemed real busy thinking last night."

"Plagg!" Adrien whined his face feeling very flushed. Before his kwami could give him any further embarrassment, the bathroom door opened. Adrien watched her mesmerised as Marinette unwrapped the towel from around her head, letting her damp hair fall down around her in her white fluffy bathrobe. He couldn't help himself, reaching out to grab her and pull her down onto his lap before covering her face in kisses as she giggled.

"So what's the plan for today Kitty, I surrender myself entirely to your mercy."

"Well, in that case..." He rubbed his chin and waggled his eyebrows earning himself a playful slap on the arm. He threw his head back and laughed. "Okay, as tempting as that is, I do have a plan for the day. You're just going to have to trust me m'lady."

After breakfast Adrien led Marinette outside and to an awaiting rickshaw. The sun was out warming the wind that swept over them as the rickshaw driver took them sightseeing around the Bund. On this side of the river was much of the old city populated with British colonial buildings. Taking a slight detour, they left the rickshaw to go and explore the markets.

Marinette was overwhelmed by the ancient style architecture and the gold gilded eves of the marketplace. She almost regretted leaving her sketchbook behind in the hotel room, but made some mental notes for later while taking lots of pictures. The air was filled with the smell of food. In the centre of the crossroads was a tea house that they later learned had been visited by the Queen of England. Adrien took Marinette by the hand to get a closer inspection of what was cooking at the nearby vendors. Whatever it was, it smelt amazing and Adrien really wanted to eat a piece. Asking in Mandarin what kind of meat it was Marinette saw Adrien's expression drop and almost go white.

"What is it?" She asked looking perplexed.

"Umm..." He stumbled. "He, ah...he says it's...ah" He swallowed hard. "Cat." Marinette's eyes blew wide, looking between Adrien, the vendor and back to Adrien.

"Maybe you heard wrong?" She offered after hearing a gasp coming from Adrien's pocket.

"Yeah, maybe." Although as they left he continued to eye the vendor with suspicion.