▸ Ch. 9: Only Dreaming ◂

A/n: For those of you who might not have caught my announcement, this series has recently gotten a title change, and new cover as you might have noticed. Both of which I owe a big thanks to my friend HugeYakman This is still the It rewrite, just under an official name: Scars That Heal. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

· · ─── ·𖥸· ─── · ·

𝐎𝐡 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐛𝐨𝐲
𝐖𝐞'𝐝 𝐯𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐭 𝐚 𝐡𝐚𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞
𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞
𝐎𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐚 𝐝𝐨𝐮𝐛𝐭
𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭
𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐰

- Leo Sayer, Only Dreaming

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

     Silver's tires skid across the cracked pavement creating a high screech that barely managed to pierce through the thunderous heartbeat in Bill's ears. Before him, stood the Neibolt house, and despite his pounding heart, there was no sign of hesitation as he stormed across the pavement towards the gate. However, when his bruised and gangly legs reached the gate's threshold, they slow as if he is suddenly standing in quicksand. His nerves have finally caught up to him but Bill does not allow this to stop him from his mission and continues across the crisp dry grass that crunches beneath his sneakers. As he walks, it feels as if he is now wading through an invisible pool, his muscles aching as they fight hard against the water. The technique turned mantra slipped from his lips the moment it popped into his mind as crosses the lawn and into the dark shadow the house casts over all of Neibolt.

     "H-he thr-thrusts his fists against the p-po-posts," Bill's clammy palms tighten, his mouth running dry but he continues. "and still insists he sees the g-gho-ghost."

     He has reached the house's rotten and creaky steps when he hears the approach of several bicycles and Beverly's voice.

     "Bill!" She cries, jumping off her bike and it tumbles to the ground. "Bill, you can't go in there. This is crazy!"

     He turns to find his seven distressed friends abandoning their bikes and following cautiously after him into the yard.

     "Look, you don't have to come in with me," Bill says, looking to each of his friends. "But what happens when another Georgie goes missing? Or another Betty? Or another Ed Corcoran? Or one of us?"

     The shadow of Neibolt seemed to grow darker before it got lighter as Bill rallied before the Losers Club that day. And despite the ice coursing through their veins, not only from their previous encounter minutes ago but the mere thought of seeking the creature out, they couldn't fight the small spark of hope from Bill's words. He had always had that effect, he had a way with words despite the stutter. And what he said was something Eddie had been dreading himself. His eyes flickered to Y/n instinctively, his mouth parted slightly as he regains his breath. There's a pained expression on her face, her lower lip curled as if she was fighting back tears and he feels like kicking himself for not doing anything to protect her back in the garage.