Chapter 3: Job Well Done

Outside the Operating room, the team took a breather and I took off my blood stained gloves. Dean, the paramedic came up to us and stood beside me. "His brother was with him when he got shot. We had to leave him behind so he could talk to the police. He's here and the police are here and they want to talk to someone." I looked at Jeanie, she's the charge nurse so should deliver the news. " Rose you go. The patient seemed comforted by you, you may just have the same effect on the family." I looked at Dean and he stepped back so I could walk past him. "Okay show me where they are." We made our way to the elevator. We stepped in and I leaned over and placed my hands on my knees and took a breath. Dean placed a hand on my back "Hey you okay?." I let out a breath and stood up. "Yeah just getting myself together. Um when we get to the ER, get everyone that's with the patient to the family consultation room. I have to run by the nurses station and get a patient form. Just let them know I'll be there right away." He nodded and the elevator doors opened. Dean went to the emergency room waiting room and I went to the nurses station. I grabbed what I needed and made my way to the consultation room. When I opened the door, there Dean was with two officers and a young man and a young woman. I recognized the young man as Mackie, Greyson's brother. "Hello I'm Rose, I'm one of the head nurses, I was also the one with the patient when he arrived." Mackie came forward " Please tell me he's going to be okay." I grabbed his hand. "Greyson should be fine. He was shot in the shoulder but he lost a lot of blood we gave him some as soon as he arrived. He's in surgery right now. The bullet is still logged in his shoulder. The Operating team is in there right now getting it out and they're going to try and repair as much as they can. If all goes well, he'll be kept here for a couple days and released. The severity of his injury will determine if he will need other surgeries or physical therapy. He will be fine." He let go of my hand and hugged me tightly. "Thank you. Thank you. Than you so much." I hugged back and patted him on the back. He pulled away and stared at me for a second and then tilted his head. "Wait you're the lady from the coffee shop earlier." I smiled and shook my head. "Yeah that's me." He smiled at me and the officer cleared his throat. "Mrs?" I turned my attention to the officer. "Ms. Rose Hayes RN." He nodded and opened his notebook and took out a pen from his vest. "Nurse Hayes, we're going to need a copy of the record report. Can you get that for us?" I shook my head. "It's not ready yet but give me your information and I can call you when it's ready. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours after he gets out of surgery." He handed me a paper with his information and him and his partner exited the room. I turned back to Mackie. "I need you to sign some papers and fill these out for Greyson. He'll be admitted and then he'll be moved to the 3rd floor for recovery. When you get done take them to the nurses station and then a nurse will take you to the family waiting room on the surgical floor. My shift is over but I'm leaving you in that capable hands of nurse Gen Holland, she's wonderful. I hope your brother gets better fast." With that, I handed him the clipboard and he hugged me one more time. "Thank you Rose." I pulled away and smiled. "It's my job Mackie." He raised his brow at me. "How do you know my name?" I smiled "When you got mad at me for 'cutting' Greyson said your name. " I winked and made my way to the nurses station to hand over everything to Gen and clock out to go home. I was off the next day, so I could finally get some rest. I handed her everything and gave her a short rundown and told her to notify me on Greyson's surgery. I clocked out and caught a taxi home. I walked through my front door and closed it and felt the warm air comfort me from the cold outside winds. I made my way to my room and changed into my sleep clothes and laid in bed. When I closed my eyes and started to drift off to sleep, my phone vibrated on my night stand. I grabbed it and adjusted my eyes to the light. "Gen H. : Greyson's surgery went well. He just got out and is recovering well. They found the bullet and got it out. A little damage but nothing major. He'll be here for a few days. Have a good day off see you Sunday." I sighed in relief. I knew he was going to be fine but surgery is always a scary thing.