Chapter 9: No question about it

Dedicated to Lydiarse because she writes beautifully, check out her nano story the day disney died its fabulous!

Maybe Ramona was rather withdrawn and out of it, though no one was willing to point it out, "Earth to Ramona, come on smell the cookies."

"Huh, oh sorry Scarlett. I'm not hungry, thanks though," Ramona answered, turning back away and passively putting a hand over a bruise she had on her cheek.

"But they're thin mints, you love thin mints," Riley pointed out to her as she put one in her mouth.

"I just don't want any right now."

"Are you okay? You've been like this for like a week now, we're worried."

"I'm fine, I promise. You know me, I'll bounce back. I'll be me again soon."

"Alright... You're still coming over tonight right?"

"Shit," Ramona cursed, "no sorry, I have to see Farkas again tonight."

"Oh no problem, just spill the details with me on Monday and all will be forgiven," Riley smiled and Ramona tried to smile back.

"I will," she told them both but she was lying, straight through her teeth. She hadn't told them about the awful date or how she had cried. They weren't that kind of friends to her. They were the ones you laughed and laughed with, not the ones you shared details of your life with. That place seemed to be filled by Adam and Adam alone. Really she didn't want to plague other people's life with her own problems. Adam had more of stumbled upon them, finding her Achilles heel just by dropping a sword.

After lunch she sat next to Adam in English, the teacher was absent and so the sub simply sat there and read a newspaper. The students around them talked but Ramona was having trouble voicing anything towards Adam.

"How are you?" he finally asked her after he saw that she kept looking over at him.

"Pretty crappy honestly."

"I'm surprised to hear you admit that."

"Well there's no point in trying to lie to you, you know after all."

"That if I touch in the right spot you'll fall to the ground like a tree," he said matter-of-factly, he had been worried. For the whole week he had been dwelling and rethinking and over thinking every single detail. He always came to the same conclusion: it was his fault. After all if everyone was going to ignore the bruises Adam would notice and worry.

"Yeah, but even more than that."

"You think I'm going to tell someone don't you?"

"No, you're too nice for that."

"You really think so?"

"I know so; you don't have a single mean bone in your body."

"Then I guess you're the meanest person I know."

"I am?"

"Only because you call me princess all the time."

"Not all the time, just most of it," Adam said and then after noticing her face of guilt he continued, "Don't worry about it too much, it really doesn't matter."

"If you really want me too I'll stop, I don't want to be mean to you Adam."

He gave her a soft smile, "You know you can be really cute when you want to be."

"Shut up," she turned from him embarrassed, she didn't mean to be cute or anything of that sort. She just found herself acting like this around him; she knew it wasn't natural for her to be this way.