chapter twenty-five

"Grief is like the ocean, it comes in waves, ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim."

- Vicki Harrison

-

Tsunade stopped in front of the gates, sucking in a breath as she took in all the changes. "Well." She muttered, eyes narrowing. Jiraiya stopped and put a hand on her shoulder. "I haven't been back here in years." She told him quietly. "Looks pretty much the same." Naruto smiled down at the floor, biting his lip to keep from laughing, before looking up at Sakura and Sasuke through his bangs.

"Baa-chan," Naruto said, a breath of relief running through him, "before we get you all settled at my place, can you come with me to the hospital to see my dad?" Naruto was ecstatic that he could finally have his father back. Everything was going to be okay. The young blonde out a sigh when Tsunade nodded determinedly.

"Of course. Minato's my top priority." Tsunade said, sobering up at the memory of her friend. Her hazel eyes took on a serious hardness that made everyone pick up their pace. They passed through the gates, ignoring the amazed stares coming from Izumo and Kotetsu, the poor Jōnin looking almost at the verge of passing out at the sight of the female Sannin.

"Ano... Tsunade-sama," Sakura spoke up. Naruto looked at her curiously. "Do you mind if I join you? I was monitoring Hokage-sama's progress while we were gone, and I wanted to personally see how he's doing. With you, too. And Shizune-sama."

Shizune smiled gently at her. "Sakura-chan, it's been about a week since you left home, right? Shouldn't you go home and sleep for a while?"

Sakura smiled at Shizune, but shook her head. "My parents are very supportive of my ninja life, and are used to me clocking in long hours. I'm sure another hour will be fine. I'll send a message over to my house." She dropped her backpack, and did a summoning jutsu. A small, black spotted cat with startlingly green eyes sat at her feet. A cheshire grin on her face. "Kireina!" She exclaimed, a small smile on her face.

"Sakura-sama!" The panther cub said excitedly. "It's my first summon!"

Sakura's eyes widened, and she grinned. She dropped to a knee and rubbed the feline on the head, a good natured grin on her face. "Congratulations! Now, I need you to go over to my house and tell my parents that I'll be home a little late, but I'm home safe. Sound good?" She asked.

"Mm!" Kireina the cub nodded her tiny head, and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"You have panther summons?" Tsunade's eyebrows raised, and she walked into the village alongside Jiraiya and Kakashi, heading in the direction of Konoha General.

"She does." Kakashi said, nodding her head. Sakura smiled, before looking at Sasuke, who still hadn't said a word directly to her since their fight earlier.

"Are you going home?" She asked him, cocking an eyebrow.

Sasuke shook his head, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I want to see Minato wake up too." He commented, which was progress. At least he wasn't downright ignoring her, like he had been on the way back from the trip.

"Alright." Sakura slowed to walk by him, allowing the adults to converse with Naruto. The two of them walked in silence for a bit, watching the leaves sway in the branches of the trees as they walked.

"I'm sorry."

Sakura and Sasuke looked at each other in astonishment when it registered that they'd both said it at the same time.