Chapter Nine Rose

Chapter Nine

Rose

The sun streamed in and hit my closed eyes, I tousled a little before stretching and deciding it was time for me to get up. I looked down and saw that I was still in my work clothes; I grumbled and made my way downstairs. Between the time I left my room and got into the kitchen bacon and eggs engulfed my nose, I really hoped it wasn’t Violet trying to cook again. But I really doubted she would be back from her friends so soon, she usually left early and came home late.

            I pushed open the kitchen door and heard my jaw clatter to the ground, not literally but it should’ve the way my face was hanging open waiting for bugs to fly in. Crocus was standing with his back to me flipping bacon and eggs. The smell was delicious and if my stomach wouldn’t have given me up Crocus wouldn’t have known I was there, his back stiffened when my stomach let one blood curling scream for food. He turned around spatula in hand and his eyes that fierce blue, he looked like he’d been about to kill me with the crappy, plastic utensil.

            “Calm down, remember you’re the intruder!” I joked only a little, he had in fact intruded. I felt a million questions pump my brain for answers but my stomach wouldn’t let them load until I had brain power. Food.

            “Oh yeah sorry when the tow truck driver came you were passed out and he told me where you lived and yeah. I brought you to your room but every time I went to leave you would start talking.” I knew I was blushing when he said I would start talking, I didn’t know I talked in my sleep and how could I since I hadn’t dreamed since I saw Crocus in my dream.

            “Well thanks I guess. The cost wasn’t too bad right?” He shook his head and got a plate from the cabinets and filled it with bacon, pancakes, eggs and hash-browns.  He took it to the table and gestured for me to sit, then I was given a glass of OJ, I was still blushing. Usually I was the one waiting on people, not the other way around, I kinda liked it. Or you like him. I shook my head mentally, no I couldn’t.

            “No, not bad at all the trucker said it was it was just going to be a little short or two hundred dollars. Today though we need to go to the rental place to get you a car.” I was surprised to hear that he wanted to go to the rental place with me, but since he was paying for I guess it made sense. I still wasn’t sure I wanted to trust him, but, he hadn’t killed me last night in my sleep so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus Crocus seemed like he was made of money and since I didn’t know who or what had hit me I was relying on Crocus. Not that I liked doing that either, I had always done things myself.

            “I’ll pay for half.” I said stubbornly taking a big bite of egg, it was stupidly good. I hadn’t before been a big fan of eggs but after devouring the whole plate I knew I now loved breakfast foods.

            “It’s already paid for.” I could hear the gentleman strain in his tone; he was sitting across from me and watching me intently as I crammed the last piece of bacon into my mouth. You’d think I hadn’t eaten for weeks, no, just missed dinner.

            “I’ll pay you back half.” I got up bringing my dishes with me and put them in the dish washer, I was shocked again to find it emptied. Had Crocus emptied the dish washer for me? Or had Violet or my dad? I didn’t think either of my family members would’ve had, but why would Crocus?

            “No need.” He said as polite as ever, I still didn’t know where he was getting his money and I’m sure it would seem rude if I asked. I sighed deeply looking at him, Crocus was looking at nothing but something and I could tell he was deep in thought.