The Sleeping Spell

Before the other villain kids left for the Isle, Carlos ran up to XJ and Harry.

"I almost forgot," He bit his lip nervously. "I know it's probably a lot to ask, since neither of you were keen on helping, but..."

Harry chuckled at Carlos's sheepish demeanor. "Spit it out, De Vil."

Carlos gulped. "Right, well, it's Jane's birthday, and I'm not going to be able to go to her party because of all of this," He gestured to his friends, who were already strapping on their motorcycle helmets, their bikes by their sides. "So, I was wondering if you could check up on her at the Enchanted Lake, you know, see if she's alright, and, uh, tell her that I'm sorry I couldn't come and...and..."

"Right, yeah," XJ cut him off. She figured that if she didn't, he would go on until nightfall. "Go, Carlos. The longer you stay here, the higher Audrey's chances are of hurting your dear Jane."

At that prospect, Carlo's face went pale, and he sputtered a brief 'thank you' before he ran to his bike.

XJ and Harry watched from the coast as the four motorcycles spurred to life, engines roaring. Mal cast a spell, which took more out of her than it should have, judging from the way she hunched over, forcing Evie to keep her from falling off her seat. With the vehicles enchanted, their tires became black circular blurs and they skimmed the top of the sea, bouncing up and down as they drove towards the side of the Isle.

"You'd think that if they used their heads for one second," XJ murmured, watching the four figures disappear into the distance. "They would realize that it doesn't matter whether they go from the side or the entrance of the barrier. Word travels fast on the Isle – Hades will know the second they set foot on land."

Harry shook with laughter as he slung an arm around XJ's shoulder. "In that case, why did you tell them that they wouldn't be found out if they went round?"

XJ shrugged. "Because it was fun." She turned. "Now, let's go find Jane, shall we?"

Harry raised an eyebrow as he walked beside XJ. "You're actually going to do what Carlos asked?"

"You sound surprised."

"He didn't even offer you anything." Harry commented.

"Yes, but it's the only other event today where the majority of Auradon Prep's students are going to be gathered, which means that it's probably going to be Audrey's next target, so I think we wouldn't be completely wasting our time going to the party, assuming everyone's not dead already."

XJ and Harry strolled through the forest, the sun's rays casting patterns of kaleidoscopic light on the soil. It was little too hot for their liking, both used to the bitter cold of the Isle, but they couldn't deny that the sunlight was pleasant.

"It would be nice, you know," Harry mused. "If we just let the rest of Auradon go to waste."

XJ flashed him a curious look. "Why would that be?"

"Nobody would be around to tell us what to do and what not to do," Harry said, his brown eyes sparkling. "We'd have the whole world to ourselves. We'd take what we'd like and do what we'd like and go wherever we'd like."

XJ smiled. She could see mountains and hills and valleys in the distance, waiting to be conquered; coasts and shores and beaches, their waters warm and full of tropical fish; islands dotted around the world, bordered by rainbow-colored coral and palm trees stretching towards the heavens.

"When this is all done and over, we should leave." She started.

"Leave and run and never look back." He finished.